Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Historical Garden Design

  • Alywn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2002
      Check out The Complete Book of Herbs and Spices by Sarah Garland. She has
      a lot of stuff on formal herb gardens (some of it period plus some lovely
      pictures). It should be a good starting text.
      Avacyn

      > >Hello my Name is Catalina de Gata from Barony of Aneala,
      > >(australia). I am currently on a mission to create a medeival or
      > >rennaissance garden in my back yard, Preferably spanish style. Any
      > >help would be appreciated, more with Layout then with what to put it
      > >in.
      > >
      > >I plan to make it multi purpose, Cooking and Medicinal herbs,
      > >veggies and fruits, and maybe some flowers that dont fall in the
      > >above plants.
      > >
      > >The plot is around 11 by 7 metres and an adjoining area which is 4.5
      > >by 3.7 metre (~39inches to the metre).(might turn that into a rose
      > >garden.
      > >

      > >One end has a short retaining wall which I may turn into a chamomile
      > >seat and a Lemon tree.
      > >
      > >Catalina de Gata

      "No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up."
      --Lily Tomlin
    • Jennifer Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2002
        > >Hello my Name is Catalina de Gata from Barony of Aneala,
        > > >(australia). I am currently on a mission to create a medeival or
        > > >rennaissance garden in my back yard, Preferably spanish style. Any
        > > >help would be appreciated, more with Layout then with what to put it
        > > >in.

        I'm not sure which of the books in the bibliography of my handout on
        Medieval Gardens might be available to you, but here's the link:
        http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/medievalgardens.htm

        Penelope Hobhouse's _Plants in Garden History_ I know has some material
        on Spanish gardens, as does Christopher Thacker's _The History of
        Gardens_. You definitely want to try to get your hands on:

        _The Islamic garden._ edited by Elisabeth B. MacDougall and Richard
        Ettinghausen. Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape
        Architecture (4th : 1974). Washington : Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for
        Harvard University, 1976..

        --
        / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb@...
        \ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072

        "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard