A harde question.

  • Alywn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2002
      Ok you caught me, it's really a group of questions....

      When Dioscorides recommends dissolving this herb or that resin in wine for
      this use or that is there one certain wine that he was thinking of? (And
      so it was so obvious to him that he wouldn't have written down what type it
      was?) What would be the best modern wine to use? Brandy?

      When he says vinegar is he referring to what is now called red wine (or
      wine) vinegar, balsamic vinegar or what?

      Also: anyone who has any interesting (period - referrably with sources)
      stories, legands, facts, fictions, etc. on myrrh, I'd love if you'd pass
      them on to me. I've lately developed an interest in the resin. Thank you.
      Avaycn

      PS If you know anyone who might be interested in discussing such things
      with me, please feel free to foward this. Thanks again.

      "No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up."
      --Lily Tomlin
    • Jennifer Heise
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2002
        > When Dioscorides recommends dissolving this herb or that resin in wine for
        > this use or that is there one certain wine that he was thinking of? (And
        > so it was so obvious to him that he wouldn't have written down what type it
        > was?) What would be the best modern wine to use? Brandy?

        I'm not sure that he would have bothered specifying unless he thought it
        was important (many wines were known in the classical period).

        Brandy, however, is not a wine per se; it's a product of distilling
        wine. Therefore, you don't want to use it if you are trying to recreate
        the recipe with exactitude.

        > When he says vinegar is he referring to what is now called red wine (or
        > wine) vinegar, balsamic vinegar or what?

        Probably wine vinegar, either red or white (white wine vinegar, not
        white distilled vinegar), since wine was the most common product of
        fermentation.

        Does anybody on the list know how malt vinegar would compare to what the
        sources call alegar, or ale vinegar?

        -- Jadwiga