Re: [SCA-Herbalist] New file uploaded to SCA-Herbalist

  • JENNIFER A. HEISE
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2002
      > Since coconut butter isn't period has anyone tried this in other
      > greases
      > such as lard?

      I believe Mistress Jasmin de Cordoba of the Middle Kingdom does a bruise
      balm in an olive oil/beeswax base.

      -- Jadwiga
    • Alywn
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2002
        I've been thinking about that. I want to try the recipe with myrrh and
        vervain added in an olive oil and beeswax base. Thought for a whiel about
        using lard also as it is moisturizing to the skin and won't need much to
        thicken it - if anything. So was just curious. BTW, was reading a
        translation of Nostradamus tonight (The Elixers of Nostradamus) and he
        suggests keeping things in glass. Also mentions a glass rebec. (I have
        memory problems and must look up the shape of a rebec, but it is what I
        think it is, any culture that could make that could easily make glass
        bottles.) Culpeper, who is slightly beyond period mentions storing things
        in glass bottles. My guess is that glass bottles are period.
        Avacyn

        > > Since coconut butter isn't period has anyone tried this in other
        > > greases
        > > such as lard?
        >
        >I believe Mistress Jasmin de Cordoba of the Middle Kingdom does a bruise
        >balm in an olive oil/beeswax base.
        >
        >-- Jadwiga

        "No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up."
        --Lily Tomlin
      • david ball
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2002
          ..... My guess is that glass bottles are period.
          >Avacyn

          Huh? Well of course glass bottles are period, and pre-period by 3 or 4
          thousand years. By 1291 Murano was doing little else but glass work. Galileo
          had glass libratory gear. By 1570 no self respecting Alchemist would use
          anything else. 2/3rds of the forests in Europe were burned to make glass.
          Half the reason for colonizing the new world was to find more forests for
          the glass makers to burn up.

          David Falcone

        • Alywn
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2002
            OK, myabe I'm confusing groups. Someone on one of my groups said glass
            bottles weren't period. It confused me as I thought they were.
            Avacyn, sorry for the confusion

          • newbrg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2002
              In a message dated 5/1/02 5:14:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jahb@...
              writes:

              > > Since coconut butter isn't period has anyone tried this in other
              > > greases
              > > such as lard?
              >
              > I believe Mistress Jasmin de Cordoba of the Middle Kingdom does a bruise
              > balm in an olive oil/beeswax base.

              I think I want to try this -- the base materials were far more expensive than
              the herbal ones when I did it! Does she also omit the lanolin?

              Johanna
            • SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 26, 2003
                Hello,

                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                group.

                File : /IasminDeCordoba/masterbib.txt
                Uploaded by : zajaczkowa <jahb@...>
                Description : Unfinished Master Bibliography

                You can access this file at the URL

                Regards,

                zajaczkowa <jahb@...>
              • SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 23 4:20 PM
                  Hello,

                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                  group.

                  File : /Recipes - personal care/Lochac_syrups.txt
                  Uploaded by : zajaczkowa <jahb@...>
                  Description : Syrups Leaflet from a Lochac Herbalist

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 10, 2004
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                    group.

                    File : /Report, At the Heart of Natural Health, April 2004.doc
                    Uploaded by : kingstaste <kingstaste@...>
                    Description : Proceedings and notes from the Clayton College of Natural Health 2004 Conference

                    kingstaste <kingstaste@...>
                  • SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 9, 2004
                      Hello,

                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                      group.

                      File : /Recipes - personal care/troche.txt
                      Uploaded by : zajaczkowa <jahb@...>
                      Description : Troches comments

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
                        Hello,

                        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                        group.

                        File : /BIBLIOGRAPHY.doc
                        Uploaded by : woodchuck_alpha <woodchuckalpha1@...>
                        Description : Weed Walk Resources

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
                          Hello,

                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                          group.

                          File : /WILD EDIBLES.doc
                          Uploaded by : woodchuck_alpha <woodchuckalpha1@...>
                          Description : Common Midwest edibles, also available in many other areas, including Europe and Scandinavia

                          You can access this file at the URL:

                          Regards,

                          woodchuck_alpha <woodchuckalpha1@...>
                        • Amy
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
                            This is a nice resource. As someone on the east coast, I would be
                            inclined to add a few things to the list. Like queen anne's lace,
                            ground ivy, rose, chicory, and purslane.

                            My biggest comment, is that I think scientific names should be
                            added. Common names are a funny thing, and can be confusing because
                            of regional tendencies. For example, here wintergreen is called
                            checkerberry. I assume we're talking about the same plant, but I'm
                            not sure....

                            Ameline

                            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                          • Aelfwyn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 13, 2006
                              In a message dated 9/13/2006 08:25:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sparrowhawk9@... writes:
                              For example, here wintergreen is called
                              checkerberry. I assume we're talking about the same plant, but I'm
                              not sure....
                              or partridge berry or or or. I'll second a scientific name attached.

                              Aelfwyn
                            • SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 18, 2007
                                Hello,

                                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SCA-Herbalist
                                group.

                                File : /Mimirs Well Schedule.doc
                                Uploaded by : sealeyinlewyllowes <sealey@...>
                                Description : Warren Vermont Saturday October 20