Re: [SCA-Herbalist] newcomer & Q about "Carmelite Water"

  • Jennifer Heise
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2002
      welshladygwen wrote:
      > Greetings, good gentles. I am a beginning herbalist [very beginning!]
      > & have started w/ a little salve w/ balm of gilead - very nice for
      > muscle aches. <G> It gets altered as needed according to what
      > ingredients are on hand.
      > Do you know if it was used in period?

      Depends on whether you are using 'true' balm of gilead, but I have never
      seen true Balm of Gilead for sale-- what you usually see is stuff that
      comes from a new world plant/tree.

      --
      / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information Resources
      \ \ Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

      "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard
    • Jennifer Hill
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2002
        Actually, I don't know ... it is labeled Balm of Gilead & I spin it in my coffee grinder [I really need to have an additional step & grind it more finely in a mortar], then mix it w/ beeswax & the oil of the hour [whatever happens to be here] & myrrh & eucalyptus oil. [Does eucalyptus grow in the Old World?]  Gwen

        Jennifer Heise wrote:
        welshladygwen wrote:
        > Greetings, good gentles.  I am a beginning herbalist [very beginning!]
        > & have started w/ a little salve w/ balm of gilead - very nice for
        > muscle aches. <G>  It gets altered as needed according to what
        > ingredients are on hand.
        > Do you know if it was used in period?

        Depends on whether you are using 'true' balm of gilead, but I have never
        seen true Balm of Gilead for sale-- what you usually see is stuff that
        comes from a new world plant/tree.

        --
        /   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information Resources
        \ \ Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015
           / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb@...

        "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2002
          > Actually, I don't know ... it is labeled Balm of Gilead & I spin it in
          > my coffee grinder [I really need to have an additional step & grind it
          > more finely in a mortar], then mix it w/ beeswax & the oil of the hour
          > [whatever happens to be here] & myrrh & eucalyptus oil. [Does eucalyptus
          > grow in the Old World?]

          I believe that eucalyptus is exclusive to Australia.

          "Personal's not the same as important." Captain Carrot in Terry Pratchett
        • ladyfei
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2002
            --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
            [Does eucalyptus
            > > grow in the Old World?]
            >
            > I believe that eucalyptus is exclusive to Australia.
            >
            > --
            > Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise jenne@m...
            > disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me.
            > "Personal's not the same as important." Captain Carrot in Terry
            Pratchett

            Essentially this is correct according to the review of a book
            titled: "Eucalyptus: A Natural and Commercial History of the Gum
            Tree" by Robin w. Doughty (Johns Hopkins University Press,2000)
            This book cites the discovery of the tree in 1770 on the Australian
            continent.
            However--there are quite a variety of species of this plant and many
            adapt readily to any tropical rainforest environment. It is entirely
            possible that some varieties were imported to the far eastern asian
            coastal areas as an exotic plant or even were wild but unrecognized
            until after the 1700's. Indochina, India and Madagascar seem to be
            the principal possibilities for wild trees that were unclassified
            before 1770s.

            H.L. Feilimidh Dearforghail
          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2002
              > > I believe that eucalyptus is exclusive to Australia.
              >
              > Essentially this is correct according to the review of a book
              > titled: "Eucalyptus: A Natural and Commercial History of the Gum
              > Tree" by Robin w. Doughty (Johns Hopkins University Press,2000)
              > This book cites the discovery of the tree in 1770 on the Australian
              > continent.

              Yes, and the Encyclopedia Britannica says: "native to Australia, New
              Zealand, Tasmania, and nearby islands" of the entire eucalyptus family.

              > However--there are quite a variety of species of this plant and many
              > adapt readily to any tropical rainforest environment. It is entirely
              > possible that some varieties were imported to the far eastern asian
              > coastal areas as an exotic plant or even were wild but unrecognized
              > until after the 1700's. Indochina, India and Madagascar seem to be
              > the principal possibilities for wild trees that were unclassified
              > before 1770s.

              First, there's no reason not to use eucalyptus for our own personal uses,
              though we should be aware that there are people who have severe reactions
              to eucalyptus and heavy use in public areas in the SCA may trigger a
              bronchial reaction in sensitive individuals.

              Second, in the SCA, at least, we tend to concentrate on what is
              documented or known to have occurred in period, researching to see what
              people did do. That shouldn't stop us from creating stuff using
              undocumentable materials but we should think about that before beginning
              (what did people use for the purposes modern herbalists use eucalyptus
              for, before eucalyptus was discovered?)

              Third, I'm afraid that I am doubtful of any significant importation from
              Australia into Asia, though it's possible that some contact between the
              Chinese and Australia occurred.

              "Personal's not the same as important." Captain Carrot in Terry Pratchett