Hello!!

  • Alywn
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2002
      I'm known as L. Avacyn Gericsdochter and I'm new here. I've been involved
      in herbalism on and off for several years primarily in context of midwifery
      (not currently practicing) and paganism. I would like to learn more about
      Medieval applications. I have a copy of Culpepper's Herbal, but would like
      to purchase, borrow, beg or steal more books that pertain to herbalism in
      period. (Yes, I know that Culpepper is barely period, but a lot of what he
      wrote was stolen whole hog from earlier sources.) What books have you all
      found useful? I've been cruising the web of course looking for good sites
      with documentation. Are there URL's that you've found particularily
      useful? Thank you.
      Avacyn

      "A man's home may seem to be his castle on the outside;
      inside, it's often his nursery."
      - Clare Booth Luce
    • JENNIFER A. HEISE
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
        Dear Alwyn,
        Period texts that I've found useful, a short summary:
        De Materia Medica by Dioscorides
        Physica by Hildegarde of Bingen
        Banckes' Herbal [1525]
        The Gardener's Labyrinth by Thomas Hyll
        Paradisi in Sole by John Parkinson (slightly post period)
        The English Housewife by Gervase Markham (slightly post period)

        There's also some good stuff that I haven't plowed through in
        _Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing_ by Stephen
        Pollington which has full texts of the Lacunugna and some other Anglo
        Saxon leechbooks

        If you're interested in Women's medicine, there is the _Trotula_ (just
        out in a new translation), Culpeper's _Book of Birth_ and the rather
        appalling but period De Secretus Mulierum by the psuedo-Albertus Magnus,
        which was published in translation as 'Women's Secrets'.

        I believe we have a booklist in the files on Yahoo somewhere (which
        needs updating, I know) and I know I have a booklist up at:
        http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herbbooks.html