Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: EK HAG annual tithe

  • teri williamson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
      Greetings.

      I too am a newbie to this list. I head up the Herbalists in the Kingdom of Atenveldt. The recipies looked incredible!! I'd love to be able to make a few of those things. Where can we go for recipies, and can any or all of it be documented? I'm especially interested in the rose honey!!

      In Service,
      Siobhan
      Atenveldt/Mons Tonitrus
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
        > << EK HAG annual tithe >>
        > Excuse my newbie ignorance, but what is the "annual tithe?" I must have been
        > sleeping when this was being discussed. What is to be included, and can I
        > participate next time around? Also, are the creators willing to part with
        > recipes? The list is yummy!

        Hi! The East Kingdom Herbalists & Apothecaries Guild charter includes a
        requirement that the guild annually present a tithe of their work to the
        Queen. We did it last year at 12th night because that was when the charter
        was 'signed' and this year because that's when we did it last year.
        (Johanna, remind me to find and post the charter to the guild website)

        Periodically I post to the list and in the newsletter (Tisane) in the
        months leading up to 12th night trolling for donations. You're more than
        welcome to contribute. Basically, it's herb related arts & crafts, the
        more period the better. I'll try to come up with recipes for the stuff I
        was involved with ASAP).

        "You're down as expendable. You don't get a weapon." Diana Wynne Jones
      • teri williamson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
          Thats very kind of you!! I'll make a note of the dates in my own Herbal Calendar. Our Charter is currently before our Crowns, and we're hoping to have it signed at the coming War in Atenveldt.

          Thank you for your help, advice and inspiration!!

          In Service,
          Siobhan
          mka Teri Wilmarth

          --
          Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise            jenne@...
          "You're down as expendable.  You don't get a weapon." Diana Wynne Jones

        • newbrg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
            Actually, I thought it WAS on the website. You know who to ask if you can't
            find the file ...

            And, Gennevote, the recipe for the Bruise Balm that has my name on it came
            from this list -- you might have fun browsing the archives.

            Johanna

            In a message dated 1/31/02 5:49:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            jenne@... writes:

            > Hi! The East Kingdom Herbalists & Apothecaries Guild charter includes a
            > requirement that the guild annually present a tithe of their work to the
            > Queen. We did it last year at 12th night because that was when the charter
            > was 'signed' and this year because that's when we did it last year.
            > (Johanna, remind me to find and post the charter to the guild website)

          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2002
              Hm... ok, here's one recipe:

              Anti-Chafing Scented powder

              This uses Cornstarch as a base instead of Orris root or calamus root,
              because cornstarch is cheaper and, unlike orris root, not a known
              bronchial irritant for some people. It's loosely based on some mentions of
              powders which I would have to dig up.

              Rub through a sieve about 3 tablespoons of dried rose petals, and about
              1 1/2 to 2 tb of dried lavender blossom-- try not to let lavender
              overpower the mix. Add a pinch of finely ground cloves, myrrh, and benzoin
              (unless the recipient is allergic to any of these). Also, we added several
              pinches of ground rosemary and thyme. Put through the sieve again. Mix
              with 2-4 cups of cornstarch and adjust proportions for a good smelling
              powder lightly flecked with botanicals. If the person is not allergic to
              orris you can add a pinch of it for the fleeting but distinctive scent of
              orris.

              You could also use rice flour instead of cornstarch for this, thus using
              all period ingredients.

              "If I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?" -- Thurber