Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Additions to the Book List

  • Jennifer Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi!

      Some other books on period herbalism you may be interested in can be
      found in the booklist at:
      http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~jahb/herbs/herbbooks.html
      though I'm in the process of updating that list.

      You also reminded me of something that I meant to post to the list.

      > The Herbal Home Remedy Book - Simple Recipes for Tinctures, Teas,
      > Salves,
      > Tonics, and Syrups; Joyce A. Wardwell; c 1998 the author;
      > ISBN: 1-58017-016-1

      Over the holidays, I picked up a copy of the Storey Country Life
      Bulletin excerpted from this book:
      _Healing Herbal Wines, Vinegars & Syrups_ Bulletin A-228, by Joyce A.
      Wardwell.

      And I was very disappointed in it. Though the recipe for sugar-free
      syrups may come in handy, most of the other material was very poor. For
      instance, the lady appears to have not researched yeasts very well,
      since she believes that a triple layer of cheesecloth over your
      fermenting jug for wine will keep other yeasts out. (You use cheesecloth
      or muslin over the top of the jar when collecting wild yeast for a
      sourdough and the yeastie-beasties do get in, so I'm fairly sure that
      cheesecloth isn't going to keep additional yeasts or bacteria out...) If
      you are interested in winemaking or vinegarmaking, there's probably much
      better advice than hers available from people in your local group.
      (Using home winemaking supplies like airlocks and non-bread yeasts isn't
      as expensive or pointless as she makes it out to be, either.) The
      bulletin didn't give enough suggestions about what herbs and fruits to
      use in these products to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

      In general I love Storey Publications and find them excellent, practical
      resources but I really didn't care for this one.

      > Also, and I do not have the details because the book is on order,
      > but
      > there has been a fairly recent reissuance of Hidegard von Bingen's
      > Herbal.

      Might that be
      Hildegard von Bingen's Physica: the complete English translation of her
      classic work on Health and Healing. Trans. from the Latin by
      Patricia Throop.
      (Rochester, VT: Healing Arts, 1998). ISBN 0-89281-661-9
      --
      / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information
      Resources

      "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard