Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Digest Number 407

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      > Hey Guys!!!
      > I've done some research on guild symbols and can say
      > that often they were not necessarily "heraldically"
      > correct.

      Can you give me some resources to look at, I think it would be very nice
      to design a guild 'device' (for the heraldically disintrested, that's the
      armory on the shield thingy, as opposed to the badge, which you are
      supposed to put on things) that is consistent with period practice.

      > Often times the modern advice we get is how it
      > "shoul've been done" as opposed to how it really
      > existed! If green on gold could have been
      > manufactured, then why not? Most guild symbols existed
      > on paper, or a wooden plaque, or a banner but rarely
      > on a metal sheild.

      Certainly true, though the rules of tincture (heraldic color) aren't
      actually based on whether something was on actual metal, but on
      visibility. (You want to be able to tell the guild badge or device from a
      distance, even on a foggy Pennsic morning!)

      Fortunately, Green on Gold is perfectly ok in SCA heraldry as it is a
      'color' (green) on a 'metal' (yellow).

      The trouble was that one of the previous suggestions for the thing on the
      mortar was a yellow flower (with green leaves) and it would be hard to
      find a heraldic tincture to put it on that would have good contrast.

      -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa