RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Introductions

  • Jim and Andi Houston
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 10:42 PM
      I have had excellent results using tobacco juice. Take a pack of cigarettes
      and shred them into a spritzer bottle full of HOT water and 2 chili peppers.
      Leave it overnight, then strain out all the yucky stuff and spray the plant
      thoroughly. This will kill white flies and aphids. But be careful, while
      this is totally organic it is also deadly poisonous to young children. Good
      Luck!

      Madrun

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 11:07 PM
        Merry Meet!

        I am Madrun, awenydd an Glyndwr, in the Shire of Glaedenfeld, Meridies
        (mundanely known as Nashville, Tennessee). I have been in the SCA for 7
        years, and until 2 years ago lived in Trimaris. I have been studying
        medicinal herbalism for about 5 years now, and specialize in period Scottish
        herbalism. I am also struggling to get a garden going in the awful compacted
        clay and rocks of middle Tennessee! I have 2 young children (about to be
        three) and have a small business doing Henna painting/Mehndi at SCA events
        and for parties. I am the Chronicler for my Shire and for the Herb Guild of
        Meridies, and doing the web page for the Herb Guild. I am currently working
        on a Northern Indian persona, late period, and studying Indian dye plants
        and medicinal herbs. I am interested in pretty much anything to do with
        herbs, and enjoy making soaps, tinctures, hand creams and oils, and using my
        husband, children and friends as guinea pigs!

        I am constantly looking for people doing A&S projects to write articles for
        me to publish! Also, anyone on this list who resides in Meridies, and is
        interested in joining the Herbal Guild of Meridies, contact me!

        Madrun
      • A. A. Straut-Esden
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 3:43 AM
          Greetings!

          My name is Tammarrion de Sidana and I currently reside in the Barony
          Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom (mundanely CT). We just moved into
          our new house, so spring will let me know what is in the large garden
          out back (I can't identify some of the "exotic" bushes and tree types in
          the yard - the woman who owned it was an avid gardener. I can't wait to
          see what's out there!).

          I've always had gardens (or just pots on the windowsill). My favorite
          herbs are the mints, rosemary, lavender and chamomile. I use herbs for
          cooking, tea and medicinal purposes - would love to know more about
          perfumes (ah, to bottle the smell of the lilacs that grew outside my
          bedroom window in NJ when I was a child...) and learn about herbs I am
          unfamiliar with. I also grow fruits and vegetables and am also
          interested in spices.

          Tammar
          (Who wonders if her 2 year old will dig in the dirt when she's not
          looking? And then realizes she already knows the answer is YES!)