Re: [SCA-Herbalist] wine and the plague

  • JENNIFER A. HEISE
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
      > 1. Does anyone have any folklore dealing with the plague and herbs?
      > I'm doing a class on herbs and the event theme is the plague. Any
      > sources would be most welcomed

      Rosemary was burned in the streets to try to prevent the spread of
      plague.
      Also angelica root was considered sovereign against the plague.
      BTW, the genome folks have isolated the genome of the bubonic plague
      bacteria.

      -- Jadwiga
    • witlef@knownworldweb.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2001
        The site: http://herbsfirst.com/ailments.html has a number of herbs
        that claim to have been used against the plague. None listed however
        are also said to have that use in Hildegard's Physica (circa 1158) -
        the lack of a ailment index in this pervents one from looking up
        'Plague'.

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., "Collette S. Waters" <collette@k...> wrote:

        > 1. Does anyone have any folklore dealing with the plague and herbs?
        > I'm doing a class on herbs and the event theme is the plague. Any
        > sources would be most welcomed

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2001
          > The site: http://herbsfirst.com/ailments.html has a number of herbs
          > that claim to have been used against the plague. None listed however
          > are also said to have that use in Hildegard's Physica (circa 1158) -
          > the lack of a ailment index in this pervents one from looking up
          > 'Plague'.

          It looks as if the first major epidemic of (bubonic/pneumonic/septacemic)
          plague in Europe in the middle ages may have been in the 14th century. I
          don't recall any references to plague at all in Hildegarde, but since
          there don't seem to have been outbreaks of it during her lifetime, that's
          not surprising.

          "Let's by all means grieve together. But let's not be stupid together. A
          few shreds of historical awareness might help us understand what has just
          happened, and what may continue to happen." - Susan Sontag, The New Yorker