Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Need help with Lavender & Rosemary

  • Jamie Picon
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 11, 2001
      Rosemary extract also makes a good insect and rodent repellent
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 11, 2001
        Greetings....

        Lavender, dried, is wonderful to use when making soap.  You could make an infusion to use with the lye, or do as I have in the past and dry it, add it to the soap at trace and again as a layer on top when you have poured the soap into the moulds.  Lavender sachets for the bath, as eye pillows, as a sleep *pillow*....   so many things....  It can also be added to glycerine soap.  I have also used it in a medieval drink recipe.

        Hope that helps.

        Tatiana

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 11, 2001
          Would you mind sharing the drink recipe?
          Juliana

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 12, 2001

            Would you mind sharing the drink recipe?
            Juliana

            Below is the drink recipe I found in a great website...  http://www.florilegium.org/

            Look under Beverages then beverages-NA... it is near the bottom of the page.  I have made it with both sugar and honey and have found the honey to be far superior in taste and in preservation... the sugar one went moldy in a clean, sealed jar.  We won the Science point in the Clinton war with the Syrup of Roses!  *both sound weird but taste amazing and both can be made hot or cold depending on weather.*  Be aware that the lavender scent, when simmering, will fill the house to an amazing degree...to the point where a lavender lover, like me, feels overwhelmed and nauseated.  I suggest doing it with the fan on or a window open.

            Tatiana

            #3 Lavender Drink
            Adapted from Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
            Century. A Complete Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic Edition
            of Ambrosio Huici Miranda with the assistance of an English Translation
            by Elise Flemming, Stephen Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and Janet Hinson
            of the Spanish Translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda._ ©1992 by Charles
            Perry. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookery
            Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc of the Bow) Published privately.
            Page A-74

            <Begin Quote> Syrup of Lavender (Halhal)
            Take a ratl of lavender and cook it in water to cover, until its
            substance comes out. Then take the clear part and add it to a ratl of
            honey, and cook all this until it is in the form of a syrup. Drink an
            uqiya and a half of this with three of hot water....<End Quote>

            Simmer equal volumes of lavender and sugar in water, dilute for
            drinking.

          • Mark Zawadzki
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12, 2001
              RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Need help with Lavender & Rosemary

              Rosemary vinegar. Also lavender is used in cooking and you can even make a lavendar martini. Good ref at http://209.52.189.2/article.cfm/cottage_gardening/18798

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 13, 2001
                --- mneumark@... wrote:
                > Hello All!
                >
                > I'm brand new to this list (it was suggested to me
                > by a friend here
                > in Caid) and I garden quite a lot. What ends up
                > happening is that I
                > have a bumper crop of something, and I toss it out
                > because I have no
                > idea what to do with it. :/
                > So, I have this HUGE bunch of lavender today (as
                > well as rosemary).
                > What would you all suggest I can do with this stuff
                > so that it's
                > useful? I'm trying to come up with presentation
                > gifts for my Barony
                > and possibly largess for my King. Suggestions?
                > I'd especially be interested in Rosemary stuff. My
                > Baron has the
                > rosemary bush that ate Slymar (I kid you not) and
                > I'd REALLY like to
                > help him use it. :)
                > Thanks in advance for your help!
                > --Artemesia Serena of the Barony of Altavia, Caid
                > (potter by trade)

                you could dry( for satchets or potporrie(sp?) it, they
                both store quite well that way.I also have some
                excellent recipies for tinctures and "bath products"
                if you'd like copies, just let me know. Lavender makes
                an excellent oil for chapped hands and other uses(
                hair "rinse" etc...), dried rosemary is GREAT for
                getting rid of ants(they hate the smell), just
                sprinkle around or directly on the ant hill( it
                doesn't hurt them just makes them go elsewhere) if you
                can tomatoes, rosemary is wonderful to add to give a
                little extra flavor to the tomatoes. If you have a
                huge amount of lavender, then by simmering it down( it
                takes a while) you can make a really beautiful perfume
                that's totally natural and hypoallergenic. I have
                quite a few books on uses for plants, if you'd like
                some more ideas, just let me know and I'll post some
                of the more obscure uses for rosemary and lavender.
                Bebhinn Kendrick of House Cymmerau

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 13, 2001
                  > So, I have this HUGE bunch of lavender today (as well as rosemary).
                  > What would you all suggest I can do with this stuff so that it's
                  > useful? I'm trying to come up with presentation gifts for my Barony
                  > and possibly largess for my King. Suggestions?

                  Lavender wands, pillows, and maybe a quilted cap?
                  Lavender and Rosemary vinegars?

                  "Let's by all means grieve together. But let's not be stupid together. A
                  few shreds of historical awareness might help us understand what has just
                  happened, and what may continue to happen." - Susan Sontag, The New Yorker
                • mneumark@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 15, 2001
                    --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., Stephanie Wilkerson <specialedwna@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > you could dry( for satchets or potporrie(sp?) it, they
                    > both store quite well that way.I also have some
                    > excellent recipies for tinctures and "bath products"
                    > if you'd like copies, just let me know.

                    Consider this letting you know! Thanks!

                    >Lavender makes
                    > an excellent oil for chapped hands and other uses(
                    > hair "rinse" etc...), dried rosemary is GREAT for
                    > getting rid of ants(they hate the smell), just
                    > sprinkle around or directly on the ant hill( it
                    > doesn't hurt them just makes them go elsewhere) if you
                    > can tomatoes, rosemary is wonderful to add to give a
                    > little extra flavor to the tomatoes. If you have a
                    > huge amount of lavender, then by simmering it down( it
                    > takes a while) you can make a really beautiful perfume
                    > that's totally natural and hypoallergenic. I have
                    > quite a few books on uses for plants, if you'd like
                    > some more ideas, just let me know and I'll post some
                    > of the more obscure uses for rosemary and lavender.

                    Please do! Thanks so much!

                    And thanks to everyone else who has given suggestions! I appreciate
                    it! I have a LOT of Lavender and Rosemary...so I'm just tyring to
                    make the best of it.

                    --Artemesia
                  • mneumark@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2001
                      --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
                      > > So, I have this HUGE bunch of lavender today (as well as
                      rosemary).
                      > > What would you all suggest I can do with this stuff so that it's
                      > > useful? I'm trying to come up with presentation gifts for my
                      Barony
                      > > and possibly largess for my King. Suggestions?
                      >
                      > Lavender wands, pillows, and maybe a quilted cap?
                      > Lavender and Rosemary vinegars?

                      Anyone have some vinegar recipes? I was looking over the site that
                      was mentioned and it didn't say if you used dried herbs or fresh.
                      Would I be right to assume dried?

                      --Artemesia
                    • Jenne Heise
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 15, 2001
                        > > Lavender and Rosemary vinegars?
                        > Anyone have some vinegar recipes? I was looking over the site that
                        > was mentioned and it didn't say if you used dried herbs or fresh.
                        > Would I be right to assume dried?

                        You can use either fresh or dried. In the case of the Rosemary, fresh
                        works best for me, but dried will also work; and for say, tincture of
                        rosemary, (made by soaking rosemary in alcohol -- vodka, everclear,
                        brandy) seems to work best with the dried stuff.

                        "Let's by all means grieve together. But let's not be stupid together. A
                        few shreds of historical awareness might help us understand what has just
                        happened, and what may continue to happen." - Susan Sontag, The New Yorker
                      • Fionnseach du Lochielle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 15, 2001
                          Please post that info to the group files (if possible) or add me to what
                          I'm going to guess is a growing list of people wanting a copy of that
                          information.

                          Thank you! :)

                          mneumark@... put into words:
                          >--- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., Stephanie Wilkerson <specialedwna@y...>
                          >wrote:
                          >
                          > > you could dry( for satchets or potporrie(sp?) it, they
                          > > both store quite well that way.I also have some
                          > > excellent recipies for tinctures and "bath products"
                          > > if you'd like copies, just let me know.
                          >
                          >Consider this letting you know! Thanks!

                          ~=Lady Fionnseach du Lochielle=~
                          ^v^ ^v^