Re: herbal column

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
      At 02:21 PM 8/13/99 +0000, you wrote:
      >From: atbrooks@...
      >
      >Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
      >I have been writing an article for our local news letter
      >"the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
      >I try to keep my articles seasonal.
      >I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
      >I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come up dry.
      Any suggestions?
      >Thanks
      >Isabella

      I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but,
      would you be willing to share any of your articles here?
      Might generate some discussion...

      Good luck with your article.

      Tamarra N. of Archangel
    • Laurie Clarkston
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2000
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@egroups.com, atbrooks@... wrote:
        > Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
        > I have been writing an article for our local news letter
        > "the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
        > I try to keep my articles seasonal.
        > I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
        > I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come
        up dry. Any suggestions?
        > Thanks
        > Isabella

        Isabella,
        I write an article for my scottish clan newsletter on garden
        folklore. When I started doing this, I felt like the articles were
        missing that sparkle or whatever it is that draws you in.

        Then one day I started my articles out with what was growning in my
        garden, or how the weather has effected the area, and then the
        articles took on a personal feel; kinda like I was writing a letter
        to a friend. After the intro part, I let the readers know about the
        plant, like, what is its name in gaelic, does it flower, where can it
        grow, how will it do in the landscape and general garden growing
        information. I will list some of its medicinal uses and how it was
        used in cooking. Then the fun stuff comes in. All of these plants I
        write about have a little folklore and or superstition to them.

        I am now taking this research and converting it into a talk on Garden
        folklore. So far, I have given a talk to a local garden group, and
        next month I am scheduled to do a series of presentations to my local
        SCA group. Kinda nervous on this one!

        My articles became more interesting and fun when I made them more
        personal. When I did that, some of the responses from people were
        they were going to go out and buy that species of tree or shrub.

        I will tell you that researching plant folklore is very hard only
        because the information is so limited. But it is very interesting and
        a lot of fun to talk about.

        I don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope this helps you get
        rid of your writers block.

        Take care,
        Cairistiona de Coueran