Leechcraft book

  • Steven H. Mesnick
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2001
      I found mention of this via another list I subscribe to. It's available
      from <www.oxbowbooks.com>. I haven't read it, but the summary sounds
      pretty interesting....

      Steffan

      Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plant-Lore and
      Healing

      edited by Stephen Pollington

      A comprehensive and detailed examination of every aspect of the early
      English approach to
      illness and healing, including a full list of the plants used and the
      properties they contain.
      Other themes include witchcraft, magic and paganism and appendices
      present healing
      theories, amulets, causes of disease, charms, dreams, omens and
      tree-lore. Three key Old
      English texts are reproduced in full, accompanied by new
      translations: Bald's Third
      Leechbook, the Lacnunga Manuscript, and 'The Old English Herbarium'
      Manuscript 5. This is a fascinating work of
      reference, packed full of information and interesting details. 539p,
      28 b/w figs, tbs (Anglo-Saxon Books 2000)
      ISBN 1898281238. Hardback available. Publishers price US $49.50,
      DBBC Price US $39.50
      --
      ============ Baron Steffan ap Kennydd ================
      Silverwing's Laws: http://pobox.com/~steffan/laws.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        In a message dated Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:43:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Steven H. Mesnick" <steffan@...> writes:

        << I found mention of this via another list I subscribe to. It's available
        from <www.oxbowbooks.com>. I haven't read it, but the summary sounds
        pretty interesting....>>

        Oh, no. Not bad enough Jadwiga keeps _making_ me overrun my book-buying budget, now you're going to start? <g>

        I guess I can put it on my Christmas list.
        Johanna