8666Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

  • Galefridus Peregrinus
    Jun 27, 2013
      Kerosene (paraffin in the UK) is not white gas -- it's from a heavier fraction of the distillation process, and is a bit greasy. It's actually pretty close to diesel fuel in composition, and has very little (if any) phenolics present. As for coal tar: Coke (the fuel, not the drink) is made by roasting coal in an oxygen-free furnace. Coal tar is the condensate of the gases given off in the process and is a mix of phenolic compounds and oils. It's my understanding that the active agents in coal tar medications are the phenolics. White gas is the same as Coleman fuel. Witch hazel is primarily as an astringent -- doctors recommend the stuff for topical use but not for open wounds.

      As you say, Tiger Balm rocks, but I wouldn't use it on open wounds -- it's primarily a topical analgesic/counterirritant. My wife uses it extensively for sinus headaches, and I've used it for fever-related headaches (I almost never get sinus headaches). Your version sounds outstanding -- what do you use as the carrier/binder?

      -- Galefridus

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Joyce Zeiler wrote:

         Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)

      Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

      I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

      Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

      The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)

      Morin

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard < original_xman@...> wrote:

      Howdy,

      My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.