8665Re: [SCA-Herbalist] witch hazel and kerosine

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Jun 27, 2013
      Not sure I'd want to use kerosene for anything other than burning in lamps, jet fuel, or Molotov cocktails....not necessarily in that order.  Kerosene (we call it "white gas") is a hydrocarbon distillate, so I would think it would have some of the same properties as coal tar, which is used as a shampoo for severe dandruff, psoriasis and lice.  It has drying properties and may contain some minor analgesic (maybe from paracetamol?)

      Witch Hazel also contains a small amount of phenol as on of its constituents, so ditto for  drying and analgesic properties.

      I WOULD NOT use either on any open or deep wounds.

      Tiger Balm is wonderful stuff.  I make a version of it using menthol, wintergreen, lavender, camphor and clove. It too, contains ingredients for analgesia.  Would not apply that to open wounds either.

      The best (besides what I make) boo boo balm I have found is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. I use it for scrapes, bites, and bruises. Will heal up very nicely and grandaughter #1 likes the green color ! (gotta please 5 yr olds)

      Morin

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Howdy,

      My sister told me last night about using witch hazel and kerosine to heal minor wounds. Anybody know anything about this? Off the subject but Tiger Balm sure worked on me. Thanks.