8658Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Homemade Vinegar Question

  • Heather Lambert
    Jun 20, 2013
      I don't have any room left in my jar.

      On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Heather Lambert <kettabal@...> wrote:
      How should I feed her?

      On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Theresa Brooks <theresabrk@...> wrote:

      Its a new mother . It may be kind of milky filmy looking and seem to climb the jar. Don't worry. Make sure you feed her soon so you can breed her out into more batches. New mothers can starve fast depending on levels in your batch.

      Isabella

      Isabella

      On Jun 20, 2013 5:16 PM, "kettabal" <kettabal@...> wrote:

      I recently tried my hand at making some apple cider vinegar, and I have a question about what happened.

      Here was my process:

      1. Washed (with white vinegar and water) some local organic apples from a local farm.
      2. Places peels and cores in a jar and covered with water (I made apple sauce out of what was left).
      3. Left in a dark, warm place for about a month.
      4. I left it undisturbed for one month

      A bit of mold seemed to grow on top of a few strands of apple peel that were sticking out of the water, so I just threw those away. It seems to have a good smell and the little bubbles formed. Today, as I was packing this for an SCA event to enter as part of an A & S project (making my own homemade four theives vinegar, starting with my own vinegar. It's a work in progress submission), I noticed a bit of a white film on the bottom of the far. I'm not sure if this is a new mother forming (as I think I accidentally threw out the mother with the moldy apple skins) or if it's contaminated with mold because I did something wrong.

      Thoughts? Suggestions? Help please!

      ~Ketta

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic