8605Re: Introduction to Herbalism

  • aranwen_of_willowford
    Apr 29, 2013
      I second that book as a wonderful learning resource. I discovered it on my own a little while back, and found a stockpile of info I wish I'd had sooner. :) Handy reference.
      www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895949903

      Another good reference volume for modern herbal info I have used so many times is called
      Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine: The Definitive Home Reference Guide to 550 Key Herbs with all their Uses as Remedies for Common Ailments
      It doesn't teach you how to do things, but it does give you a good place to look up which thing is good for what, with medical knowledge to guide you.
      www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789467836to

      Nice safe reputable resource to buy herbs to work with (as opposed to wild gathering until you're SURE of identity of things to use)
      http://mountainroseherbs.com

      Petersons field guides are made for various regions so you can use them to help ID what's local to you. (I have been told Audubon's are good as well but never used them.) Shows you known lookalikes (VERY important to research to know before you wild gather) and includes known uses too.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395988144

      ~Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford

      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      > One of my favorite books is *The Herbal MedicineMakers Handbook: A Home
      > Manual *by James Greene. He takes it step by step and is a good
      > introduction. There are many others on the market, and sometimes a used
      > book store can give you very nice resources. I will let others give you
      > their favorites. One thing I learned about herbalism. No one book has
      > everything about everything. You wind up going to many authors across the
      > years. Welcome!
      > Isabella
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM, stephanie <chimericalgirl@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hello, I'm new to the SCA and I couldn't believe it when I found this
      > > group! I've always wanted to study herbal remedies!
      > > I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good book to start with?
      > > Ideally I would like to know different herbs and flowers and how to use
      > > them for a variety of problems and how to make my own remedies. Also is
      > > there something to explain the difference between a "tincture" and
      > > "decoction" and everything else?
      > > I would really appreciate any articles/books/blogs on this subject.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic