8548Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Classes at Gulf Wars

  • Joyce Zeiler
    Nov 15, 2012
      If you could teach the soap class, that would be wonderful.  I know you taught it one year and I had very positive feedback on the class.  Whatever you can do will be very much appreciated!

      On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      Morin,

      At this time, I think only once, as I have to gather up the materials.  If you have some empty spots, I can do another one.  We can revisit right before your final schedule.

      The other class I could teach is the cold process soap, but that was a two part.  I toyed with the idea of doing a class on tinctures, but I don't have enough material.  I will have to see.  I don't see much of a possibility on these two.

      My first aid class was very well received--I used some of your ideas, some of mine and some that were in the Herb Companion Article.  My students made bug balm and I think  comfrey/calendula salve.  Had 4 alcohol burners, 3 students to each one, and away they cooked.  Lots of fun.  Still have some beeswax,   I will have to see if my local beekeeper can give up some more, and maybe I can do that class.  I would have to charge for that one as the ingredients are a little costly.

      So maybe another herbarium and the first aid.  The first aid took at least 2 hours as well.  Would have a max of 16 participants, all adults (due to the medication aspect of the class and the fire involved in the cooking.  I can do 4 students per burner)   Can have quite a few observers with free handouts.   Could just cook the comfrey salve, and have everyone see a complete herbal kit (which I have).    I won't commit to that one yet.  Let's see what kind of a response you get.  If I did this, I can do one herbarium at the beginning of the week and then a first aid on another day.  A possible herbarium another day.  No classes on  Thursday, as midnight madness is on Wed night this year and I will be tired on Thurs.  So maybe Mon, Tues. Fri.  But again, see what other teachers you get.

      In Herbs,
      Isabella

      On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

      Thank you so much for your willingness to teach.  Do you want to teach the class one time or a couple of times during the week?  Do you want to teach another class also?   It is completely up to you.  I will be compiling the schedules very soon and will let you know your class days and times.

      Again--thank you.

      Morin

      On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      I would like to do a class on herbariums.  That is my current project.  Just a two hour max class on how to, a little history.  I  will bring supplies for everyone to start a sample one.  No fee.  I will send you a list of class set up/write up.  No age limit, lots of fun for little ones too, but may want to come with adult just to keep a little order.  Probably ages 8 and up?   No particular teaching time.  I have the shop and will have my daughter with me who can watch it, so you can plug me in anywhere.    Would need as many tables as there are students.  materials a little space consuming (newspaper, cardboard, plants)  I can have a version for the kids and a version for the adults.  The kids can do a flower press, and the adults would have the plants with more descriptions.  Maybe no more than 20 with extra table space.  Might be better earlier in the week so the flowers don't wilt too much on me.

      Isabella
      Marta McCarthy

      On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

      Gulf Wars.  It's not that far away!

      I am looking for that herbally artisan to teach classes at the Herbal and Botanical Tent this year.  This is the tent's seventh year, and I have had exceptional teachers share their knowledge with us in the past and expect this year to be no different. If you are interested in teaching, again this year, or for the first time, please let me know.  I will need to try to have everything scheduled by the first of January, to make sure classes make it in the AR Booklet.

      Not herbal, but know someone who is?  Please have them contact me!  I am looking forward to a full schedule again this year!

      Herbally Yours,

      Morin inghen Ruaric
      Herbal and Botanical Tent Coordinator
      Gulf  Wars XXII