    Apr 26, 2012
      Thanks Ros, that is what I had in mind as well.  I am collecting my personal set of single tinctures at this point. The recipes I have found so far have a combination of single tinctures.  I like the versatility too.
      Isabella

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM, <psn3748@...> wrote:

      Isabella

      one more note i would make - based on my experience at least.  I make single herb tinctures rather than making blends - that way i can then blend the singles into whatever i may need - so rather than making a tincture for sleep per say - i would make tinctures of chamomile, valerian, lavendar, etc - and then use a small amount of each into the blend - that way when i next need chamomile for something else - i have it ready and waiting.

      Ros

      From: "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:51:50 PM

      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Teaching herbal class

      My notes on tincture making are growing right along.  I read a few books on the making of them, and they seemed to switch back and forth between the distilled alcohols and the pure grain menstruums.  Thanks Ros.
      Isabella

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM, <psn3748@...> wrote:

      Isabella

      Yes everclear is the brand of grain that i use.

      While each processing removes any impurities, i think we must remember - it is also removing any of the natural tendencies of the plant that was used to create the alcohol.   Perhaps teachings have changed in the last 20+ yrs - but when i began learning and making tincutures - all the herbalists and naturopaths who taught me recommended the grain (everclear) because it was less processed and retained some of the healing tendancies of the grains used to make it.   More processing is not always better.

      Ros