8454Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Teaching herbal class

  • Marta McCarthy
    Apr 26, 2012
      Florida just had it right on the shelf at Total Wine.  No restrictions on the purchase, at least not in West Palm Beach.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM, <psn3748@...> wrote:

      Everclear is only available here in pennsylvania with a license as well.  But when using it as an herbalist - i had no problem being approved by the state and am able to go to the state store (pa liquore stores) and purchase - i just have to take my license with me each time - and usually have to order it because they no longer keep it in stock.

      From: "Amy Provost" <sparrowhawk9@...>
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:36:57 PM

      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Teaching herbal class

      Everclear is indeed what I think is being referred to as grain alcohol (190 proof).  We cannot get it in Maine and I only use it for extracting thick resins such as frankincense and myrrh, or hard seeds like milk thistle.  Some celiac sufferers have brought up the concern of gluten in regular vodka, so I switched to a potato vodka a few years ago.  Organic is pretty expensive, so I've opted to use the 100 proof Viking Fjord vodka which is imported from Norway.  GMO's are banned from that country as well as many pesticides used here.  It sells for less than half the price of organic.  That's my 2 cents.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      Alas, if I only had my personal recipes.   I think with time I will.  I am but a budding herbalist.   What I will do at the classes is bring a bunch of my favorite books that have recipes that I like and use.  I am also giving each student a very small book ( and a pen) and they can copy any recipe that appeals to them for their own use ( and start their own stillroom mini book).  They can also copy names of books they like.
      I  just came back from a jaunt to Total Wine, and got educated on alcohols.  What I learned is that the more times something is distilled, the fewer the impurities.  I saw a vodka that was distilled 7 times.  It was organic and called "Rain".  It sold for $36 for the 1.5 L bottle.  They also had everclear but I didn't get it as I wasn't sure whether that was what Ros was talking about.
      So Ros, when you say you use grain alcohol are you refering to the everclear or is there something else on the market?
      On a different note, has anyone ever made a period herbarium for an art-sci entry?
      In Service,

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Vivienne Kestrel <VivienneKestrel@...> wrote:

      Greetings Isabella,

      And now for the question no one has asked yet...
      Are you willing to share your recipes?

      In Service,

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Pamela Nelson <psn3748@...> wrote:

      My preference for making tinctures is pure grain alcohol.  It has had less processing than any vodka.  I use 50/50 grain and water which still gives me the 90 proof.

      As to age, under 18 I require a parent present for the individual to make anything with alcohol.  I do though usually take vinegar for when someone w/out a parent wants to participate.

      Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T