8448Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Teaching herbal class

  • Marta McCarthy
    Apr 26, 2012
      Alas, if I only had my personal recipes.   I think with time I will.  I am but a budding herbalist.   What I will do at the classes is bring a bunch of my favorite books that have recipes that I like and use.  I am also giving each student a very small book ( and a pen) and they can copy any recipe that appeals to them for their own use ( and start their own stillroom mini book).  They can also copy names of books they like.

      I  just came back from a jaunt to Total Wine, and got educated on alcohols.  What I learned is that the more times something is distilled, the fewer the impurities.  I saw a vodka that was distilled 7 times.  It was organic and called "Rain".  It sold for $36 for the 1.5 L bottle.  They also had everclear but I didn't get it as I wasn't sure whether that was what Ros was talking about.

      So Ros, when you say you use grain alcohol are you refering to the everclear or is there something else on the market?

      On a different note, has anyone ever made a period herbarium for an art-sci entry?

      In Service,
      Isabella

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Vivienne Kestrel <VivienneKestrel@...> wrote:

      Greetings Isabella,

      And now for the question no one has asked yet...
      Are you willing to share your recipes?

      In Service,
      Vivienne

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Pamela Nelson <psn3748@...> wrote:

      My preference for making tinctures is pure grain alcohol.  It has had less processing than any vodka.  I use 50/50 grain and water which still gives me the 90 proof.

      As to age, under 18 I require a parent present for the individual to make anything with alcohol.  I do though usually take vinegar for when someone w/out a parent wants to participate.

      Ros

      Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T