8246Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Mithril's injuries and what they would have done in period?

  • Charlie Farrow
    Feb 23, 2011
      Regarding the hepatotoxicity of pyrrolizidine-alkaloid-containing plants such as Comfrey please see Jonathan Treasure's definitive article reproduced by Henriette Kress.
      http://www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs/medi-5-1-side-effects.html/

      On 23 February 2011 19:57, Amy Provost <sparrowhawk9@...> wrote:

      There is one study that implicates a carcinogenic component of comfrey, which moved the FDA to ban it in the US for internal use.  This study, in my opinion, does not take into account the hundreds of other constituents in the plant that counterbalance and negate the effects of that component.  The fact of the matter is that the plant has safely been used internally for over 2000 years.  I've used it, and herbal friends have used it to cut down the bone mending time by about 1/3.  I believe the German Commision E recommends limiting usage to under 6 weeks.  For an otherwise healthy person, there should not be issues of short term consumption.  It is processed by the liver, so caution is advised if combining with other medications, especially NSAIDS.  Externally, it's a fantastic healer too.

      On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Alyson <tolkienscholar@...> wrote:

      There seems to be a controversy surrounding comfrey: Should comfrey be taken internally? I personally do not use it internally, but some do. Does anyone have any research or evidence that supports the use (or not) of comfrey internally? I know that many herbs considered "toxic" are toxic at high doses but were deemed toxic because they produced hallucinogenics or were aphrodisiacs or had non-Christian associations (I'm referring to medieval here). Comfery in not an herb that shows up on my radar of controversial medieval herbs. I'm more of a dittany, mandragora and daturia woman.
      Thanks!
      Cempestra O'Breoniann

      One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.