      Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:00 PM
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Herbalist] catnip/catmint

      A Care2 article stated that an Iowa State University research group showed that the essential oil found in the herb catnip is about 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes in the laboratory. DEET apparently also causes brain damage. Lavender also was mentioned in the article as a mosquito repellant. And citronella oil, which is kind of minty-lemony. So your strewing mixture sounds bang on.

      Sir Maythen

      From: storm85213 <original_xman@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] catnip/catmint
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 12:44 PM

      Happy (post)Thanksgiving. I hope that someone can verify/illuminate me on catnip. There was a brief article in the paper yesterday about the nature and uses of catnip beyond altering the states of cats. The article said that anise extract has the same effect on dogs, but that is another topic. One of the uses was as a cockroach repellent. Also stated was that catnip tea was a popular European tea before the importation of Chinese teas. I did a quick web search which did support the cockroach repellent, and that catnip was widespread throughout Europe and North Africa.

      Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic