      Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:37 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Ghee

      As is my habit... I get curious about things I know just a little about and look further, and I checked Ghee..... here is something from Wiki you might all find interesting. I most certainly did.

      "Like any clarified butter, ghee is composed almost entirely of saturated fat. Ghee has been shown to reduce serum cholesterol in one rodent study.[4] Studies in Wistar rats have revealed one mechanism by which ghee reduces plasma LDL cholesterol. This action is mediated by an increased secretion of biliary lipids. The nutrition facts label found on bottled cow's ghee produced in the USA indicates 8 mg of cholesterol per teaspoon.

      Indian restaurants and some households may use hydrogenated vegetable oil (also known as vanaspati, Dalda, or "vegetable ghee") in place of ghee for economic reasons. This "vegetable ghee" is actually polyunsaturated or monounsaturated partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, a trans fat. Trans fats are increasingly linked to serious chronic health conditions. Not only is "vegetable ghee" implicated in causing high LDL (In a 2007 animal study, South African scientists found consumption of red palm oil significantly protected the heart from the adverse effects of a high-cholesterol diet.[5] - from Palm Oil). The term Shuddh Ghee, however, is not officially enforced in many regions, so partially hydrogenated oils are marketed as Pure Ghee in some areas. Where this is illegal in India, law-enforcement often cracks down on the sale of fake ghee.[6] Ghee is also sometimes called desi (country-made) ghee or asli (genuine) ghee to distinguish it from "vegetable ghee".

      When cooking, it can be unhealthy to heat polyunsaturated oils such as vegetable oils to high temperatures. Doing so creates peroxides and other free radicals. These substances lead to a variety of health problems and diseases. On the other hand, ghee has a very high smoke point and doesn't burn or smoke easily during cooking. Because ghee has the more stable saturated bonds (i.e., it lacks double bonds which are easily damaged by heat) it is not as likely to form dangerous free radicals or advanced glycation endproducts when cooking.[citation needed]

      Ghee's short chain fatty acids are also metabolized very readily by the body, which would seem to negate concerns of its health effects. However, there is significant controversy between traditional oils and modern industrially processed oils which tends to heavily cloud the facts and issues surrounding oil consumption. "(Wiki Quote)

      What I find interesting about this, is saturated fats cause Insulin Resistance, or Syndrome X.. https://health. google.com/ health/ref/ Metabolic+ syndrome , which in turn causes all of the following diseases....

      diabetes mellitus
      obesity
      insulin resistance
      high blood pressure
      type 2 diabetes
      atherosclerosis
      heart disease
      polycystic ovary syndrome (pcos)

      This is what causes people to become fat and to get Diabetes. (the article is kinda screwed about saying IR is caused by Syndrome X, but it is actually right on the dot on the rest). Yes, its the Margarines.. crisco.. deep fat fried foods... most mayo's... that cause these problems. If you were to use Ghee instead of those for these, you may save your child from a lifetime of heart disease obesity, and diabetes.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic