      Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] benzoin substitute

      Just weighing in a little late-- when I've made this, if I couldn't
      find my benzoin, I either used a little tincture of benzoin and let
      the whole thing dry, or left it out. I agree with Tresach that a
      powdered resin, such as gum arabic, would probably be a good
      substitute. I don't recommend kaolin myself for this application, but
      I know it was sometimes used as a face powder-- I just don't have
      handy *when* that was. My recipe is a hodge-podge of various recipes I
      found in several sources, specifically those quoted in <I>The Scented
      Garden</I> by Elinor Sinclair Rohde, and in Rosetta Clarkson's books.

      Please be aware, if/when you choose to use orris root powder (I use it
      myself), that it is now omitted from commercial products because some
      portion of the population have demonstrated major adverse affects from
      breathing the powder. Use it with caution, is what I say. :)

      -- Jadwiga

      On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Tonia Burk <toniaburk@hotmail. com> wrote:
      > Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for
      > benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but
      > couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling
      > nice.
      >
      > It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component... but
      > this is my first shot at something like this.
      >
      > I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder
      > and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.
      >
      > Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum
      > resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!
      >
      > Randalin
      > Meridies
      > Herb Guild

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic