      Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:05 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] benzoin substitute

      Kaolin and arrowroot create a very white powder that absorbs moisture and odour, while lubricating between folds of skin.  Perfect for anti-chafing, but the arrowroot because it's a starch can increase the likelihood of yeast infections on the skin.  So I substitutive the bacteria neutral and ancient traditional orris root powder.  Since Kaolin is a very fine clay that can clog pours, it's not a one-one ratio, so experiment with the ratio you like.  Adding a very small amount of an organic essential oil can really life this powder up to a luxurious cosmetic, and for medicinal value, a few powdered herbs that address the particular issues.

      I've been working on just such a concoction for a few years and have been pretty successful.  I should have it up on my Etsy store in the next few weeks.  One for chafing, one as a body powder, a foot powder, and a face powder.  Nearly all will be historically accurate and documentable for A&S purposes as well.

      Treasach