      Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:04 PM
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] benzoin substitute

      Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling nice.

      It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component... but this is my first shot at something like this.

      I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.

      Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!

      Randalin
      Meridies
      Herb Guild

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic