7168Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Pepper vodka?

  • Jennifer Heise
    Sep 5, 2008
      I think the closest thing you'd get would be 'water of pepper', made
      by distilling pepper with grain beverage. I don't know if they made
      such a thing but the Brits at least did make 'waters' of all the
      spices they could get their hands on.

      From John French's Art of Distillation, 1651:

      "OILS ARE MADE OUT OF SEEDS THUS
      Take of what seeds you please, bruised, two pounds. Of spring water
      take twenty pints, let them be macerated for the space of 24 hours,
      and then be distilled in a copper still with a worm or alembic with
      its refrigerating. The oil extracted with the water, being separated
      with a tunnel, keep the water for a new distillation.
      This water after three or four distillations is a very excellent water
      and better than is drawn any way out of that vegetable whereof these
      are seeds; I mean for virtue though not always for smell.
      After the same manner are made oils of spices and aromatical woods."

      On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Beth Ann Bretter <ladypeyton@...> wrote:
      > I've never seen any reference to pepper vodka in all my cordial research but
      > you might want to try The Domostroi. At the very least it's a starting point
      > for period slavic cooking. There's also Food in Russian History and Culture
      > by Glants and Toomre which isn't a primary source, but I've heard it's a
      > very good reference.
      >
      > Peyton

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic