7111Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Massage oils?

  • Amy Provost
    Jul 1, 2008
      For 1/2 oz of carrier oil, I would only add 1 drop of ylang ylang.
      Personally, I like lavender in my massage oils.  You could add more like 4 drops of that.
      I've got some arnica oil that I extracted last year if you want to add that to the mix.
      Email me if you do.

      Ameline

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM, <Aelfwyn@...> wrote:

      Thanks, Urtatim, what I have here is:
      Now brand Jasmine Oil, 1 fluid oz., sticker on the bottle says $3.95, "for external use only, this oil is a combination of 100% natural and synthetic USP oils.".
      Aura Cacia brand aromatherapy Ylang Ylang III Cananga Odorata 100% pure essential oil, .5 fluid oz, "for external use only, dilute properly, add a few drops of oil to your favorite lotion, massage oil or aromatherapy diffuser" price sticker $9.98.
      Neither bottle has ever been opened. So it sounds like I can add at least the Ylang Ylang oil to either the grapeseed oil or the apricot kernel oil for a massage product. Any thoughts on quantity of the essential oil to what quantity of the carrier oil?
      Aelfwyn

      In a message dated 7/1/2008 01:13:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lilinah@... writes:

      Checking prices on the web, i found...

      Jasmine
      -- 1 fluid ounce of pure real jasmine, i.e., jasmine absolute, would
      cost in the vicinity of $150 US, or likely more. I suspect you don't
      have this...
      -- Some vendors put a small amount of jasmine absolute into a natural
      carrier oil, such as jojoba, and that runs around $30 per ounce. If
      you have this, it should be safe.
      -- Or you may have a synthetic, which is much more affordable, but,
      as some people have pointed out, could have a problematic ingredient.

      Ylang ylang
      sometimes called "poorman's jasmine"
      -- 1/2 fluid ounce of pure ylang ylang runs around $15 to $20 US. You
      might have this.
      -- If what you have is synthetic, it, too, could have a problematic ingredient.

      In aromatherapy, both jasmine and ylang ylang are considered to be aphrodisiac.

      Do the essential oils have a brand or vendor name? If so, that could
      help in figuring out which type they are.
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita

      My LibraryThing