6886Re: [SCA-Herbalist] mouse ear vs dandelion

  • Amy Provost
    Apr 1, 2008
      If this formula is for diuretic use, I see no problem with making this substitution.  Dandelion is period as well, after all.  If the formula is more for respiratory purposes, you might want to substitute mullein instead.

       Ameline

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Brett Chandler-Finch <goldweard@...> wrote:

      I am working on a formula for an A&S competition. It is a formula from
      Hildegard's Physica.

      One of the ingredients is mouse ear (Hieracium pilosella) It is
      not native to this area. I can purchase seeds to grow it, but I
      have never used it before. I am considering switching it for
      dandelion (Taraxacum officinale (WEBER)) which is similar in
      properties.

      Since this is a period formula, should I do this or grow the mouse
      ear. I have considered simply making a batch with the original herbs,
      and a batch with my substitions.

      Goldweard

      --
      www.crookedwall.org