6007Re: Banya's Mold

  • LA Judge
    Apr 2, 2007
      Humm - well a banya is a Russian sauna, or sauna type bath (think long
      hot steamy soak). I am wondering if the reference means mold as in
      something that was commonly pressed in a mold & dried then added to
      the baths. In that case I would look at Russian comfrey as the herb
      that you need.

      Just my thoughts -

      Tsura (LA.)

      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "banavtai" <jtaper1@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > Forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to identify the "old
      > chronicle ...from the thirteenth century" mentioned in Russian
      > Herbalism by Igor Vilevich Zevin pertaining to the discovery in
      > Novgorod of "banya's mold" as a cure for infected wounds.
      >
      > Zevin has an annoying habit of throwing in such references all
      > throught the book without any footnote to the original source. Can
      > anyone help fill in the gap(s)?
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Karaznina Semenova vdova Iul'iana
      > BMDL, Aethelmearc