2905Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Pennsic classes

  • Tchipakkan
    May 13 11:29 AM
      > Tchipakkan intoned:
      >
      >> I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
      >> think I've used completely different sources.
      "Intoned"? ah, common! I didn't think I sounded that bad!

      > so, (leading intonation) what are yours?
      > AngloSaxon Amulets and Curing Stones, by Audrey L. Meaney
      Hadn't heard of that one- I'll have to look for it.
      > AngloSaxon Leechcraft by Henry S. Wellcome
      > AngloSaxon Magic by Dr. Godfrid Storms
      > Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing, Stephen Pollington
      got those- so apparently we haven't got "completely" different sources.
      > Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England
      Not sure- sounds familiar, but my library is in chaos just now.

      > My class focuses on overall health & healing in AS England, through herbal
      > remedies, charms, amulets, and customs blending Celtic, Germanic and
      > Mediterranean cultures and their religions, superstitions and rituals.
      > I find the charms or songs with which the herbal remedies are to be
      > applied particularly interesting, with their mix of Pagan magic and
      > Christian prayer.
      > Tara
      It certainly would be hard to disassociate charms from healing in this
      period! Still, I love to go to people's classes and see what they've gotten
      out of books that I've missed. What's your persona, Anglo-Saxon or something
      else? Do you have the Anglo-Saxon Herb Garden by Horn yet? I'd actually
      hoped for more out of it, but it's a beginning. I assume that some large
      estates would have herb gardens not unlike monastery gardens- but only if
      the lady was into herbs. Even if she was, she might very well not be
      literate or interested in recording what she grew and used. I assume that
      most people did most of their own healing, and turned to local herbalists
      when they couldn't handle a more unusual problem- as they would turn to a
      midwife if there weren't a particularly capable woman in your family to
      attend you. I'd like to find more information on the use of wild herbs.
      After all, why would they put herbs that grew everywhere into a garden? I
      know that people do send for herbs that used to grow wild in their own areas
      and were widely used to new places when they get there and can't find them-
      as the Roman's brought nettles to Britannia, and the White Men brought
      Plantain to America. This is a really strong indication of common use, while
      not necessarily well documented in written records.
      Do you have a garden? What herbs do you grow in yours? Do you use them, or
      just grow them for fun?
      --
      Tchipakkan
      Arastorm the Golden