pants for kids

  • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 12:23 PM
      I have three young boys, ages 7, 2 and 1 who all go to SCA events with me about 5-6 times a year. Just enough time between events for the babies so they need new garb EVERY time. The baby is finally getting to the point he's in the hand-me downs from the toddler each time, but not always. Ive perfected the 2 hour t-tunic for them made from scraps of their dads garb, but ive always had an issue with pants. The seven year old has been leaning towards Japanese garb lately, and so Ive been making hakama for him, but they just arent practical for a toddler or a baby, the baby still isnt walking, so ive been making his t-tunics calf length and putting a diaper and a pair of tan mundane shorts on under them. Up till this point, ive been letting the 7 yer old and the 2 year old wear blue jeans under there tunics, but Id really love to come up with something a little more periodish....any suggestions for the kids? Ive never been able to make a pair of pants fit good, and whats a good material to use for pants?

      Ghita

      No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
      but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

    • Chiara Francesca
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 12:31 PM
        Greetings Ghita,
        http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/simple_pants.htm
        Should help you out. It is very simple and I have seen a class with teens
        being taught this method.

        Chiara

        >I have three young boys, ages 7, 2 and 1 who all go to SCA events with me
        >about 5-6 times a year. Just enough time between events for the babies so
        >they need new garb EVERY time. The baby is finally getting to the point
        >he's in the hand-me downs from the toddler each time, but not always. Ive
        >perfected the 2 hour t-tunic for them made from scraps of their dads garb,
        >but ive always had an issue with pants. The seven year old has been leaning
        >towards Japanese garb lately, and so Ive been making hakama for him, but
        >they just arent practical for a toddler or a baby, the baby still isnt
        >walking, so ive been making his t-tunics calf length and putting a diaper
        >and a pair of tan mundane shorts on under them. Up till this point, ive
        >been letting the 7 yer old and the 2 year old wear blue jeans under there
        >tunics, but Id really love to come up with something a little more
        >periodish....any suggestions for the kids? Ive never been able to make a
        >pair of pants fit good, and whats a good!
        > material to use for pants?
        >

        > Ghita
        >

        > No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
        > but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        > Helpful email addresses:
        > Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Main group web page:
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 2:48 PM
          Well, my boyfriend's son just turned two. We usually put him in either sweat pants or some plain cotton pajama bottoms (like daddy wears to fight). I usually put on a tunic and a tabbard belted at the waist and he's off to play and a happy little camper at that. We've decided that tabbards are the simplest answer to growing kids. Make them wider and longer than they need to be and the kids will grow into them. Put mommy, daddy, or household device on them and lost kids get returned to camp so much easier. :) (Hey, I saw that on a banner over there, we should see if he belongs to them.)

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 3:24 PM
            Since you didn't say western or Eastern style... go check out this site
            for turkish style pants:

            http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_recpants.htm

            I've actually made several of these when my daughter was still in
            diapers, make the crotch bigger than you think because you have to go
            over the diaper. Don't make them out of poly/cotton broadcloth your kids
            will roast and not want to wear them, lightweight cotton (shirtweight)
            or linen is way better. When she wouldn't wear them at allI went to
            having my kids wear sweatpants, stretch knit pants and shorts under
            their tunics. My son (3 1/2yo) was asking me to make him some pants like
            mine a few weeks ago after an event I went too so I will be going
            through the boxes and getting out all the small bits to make him some
            turkish pants, perhaps I will even get a few made for his sister too...

            May is the month I will be making new garb for them.

            Kathws

            Chiara Francesca wrote:
            > Greetings Ghita,
            > http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/simple_pants.htm
            > Should help you out. It is very simple and I have seen a class with teens
            > being taught this method.
            >
            > Chiara

          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 1:05 PM
              Ghita wrote:
              > Ive perfected the 2 hour t-tunic for them made from scraps of their
              > dads garb, but ive always had an issue with pants. . . .the baby still
              > isnt walking, so ive been making his t-tunics calf length and putting
              > a diaper and a pair of tan mundane shorts on under them. Up till this
              > point, ive been letting the 7 yer old and the 2 year old wear blue
              > jeans under there tunics, but Id really love to come up with something
              > a little more periodish.. . .

              Regia Anglorum has good instructions for a basic pair of
              early-period-style pants, appropriate as an accompaniment to
              knee-to-calf-length tunics
              <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm>.

              > Ive never been able to make a pair of pants fit good,

              Fortunately, this type of pants isn't really fitted. As long as you
              get the waist and length about right and leave enough room in the
              crotch, they'll be fine.

              > and whats a good material to use for pants?

              Same as tunics: wool. Linen's a reasonable compromise if you're in a
              really hot climate.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            • Lente
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2 7:13 PM
                Hey thanks for posting this! I went cruising around the site and found
                the dyeing equivalent chart located here: *
                http://www.regia.org/members/dyes.htm

                *very nice, I always wondered exactly what the medieval dyed fabric
                colors would look like and now I have a chart to find them on. Now I
                just have to put my hands on my DMC embroidery floss color chart... or
                would that be buy a DMC or paterna tapestry wool color chart?...

                Kathws

                Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                > Regia Anglorum has good instructions for a basic pair of
                > early-period-style pants, appropriate as an accompaniment to
                > knee-to-calf-length tunics
                > <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5d.htm>.

              • Elizabeth Barnett
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2 9:35 PM
                  The DMC web-site includes a series of charts (by number, by colour
                  grouping, etc. )
                  http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/100101001f/en_US/Colour-Cards.html

                  Elizabeth of ... (to be determined)
                  Montengarde / Avacal / An Tir