Re: ISO heavy gold cheverons

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
      I suppose that a military rank cheveron (private/sargent..)is about
      the right scale, but impractical since very many would be needed to
      cover 5x22 inches. Thanks.
      --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Shere'e <shereerobinson@...> wrote:

      > Have you tried looking at a uniform shop? Something is triggering in
      > the back of my head that I have seen something like this on a modern
      > uniform. Maybe they may have it or something really close to what you
      > are looking for.
      >
      > Miranda
    • barb
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
        Well, Rick, you COULD sew down rows of gold braid...but I`m thinking that it will take a LOT of braid to do something like this!
        Or--if you could find gold/black striped fabric; cut wide bias strips and sew them together; the center seam becomes the angle of the chevrons...
        But 22 inches isn`t THAT long; heck, an Elizabethan gown takes MUCH more trim than that!
        Good luck; remember the 10 ft rule!

        -barb-

        Rick Orli <orlirva@...> wrote:
        I suppose that a military rank cheveron (private/sargent..)is about
        the right scale, but impractical since very many would be needed to
        cover 5x22 inches. Thanks.

        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Shere'e <shereerobinson@...> wrote:

        > Have you tried looking at a uniform shop?

        -Barb-

        For custom painted rocks and feathers:
        http://barbgable.com

      • Elizabeth Cember
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
          MODERATOR NOTE: REMEMBER, PLEASE, THAT POSTS MUST BE TRIMMED.
          THANK YOU.

          Barb has a great idea here. You don't even need to find striped fabric. Just get a hold of a quilter and bribe them for the use of their equipment and you can turn any fabrics into striped fabric. You could do it without the quilting tools, but it'll take a lot less time with a rotary board and such.

          Elspeth

          Or--if you could find gold/black striped fabric; cut wide bias strips and sew them together; the center seam becomes the angle of the chevrons...
          <<<MODERATOR SNIPPED>>>

          -barb-

        • Alix deBohun
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
            The ones made for class a jacket sleeves might be big enough. they are fairly wide, meant to span the width of a man's upper arm.

            Alix (wife of a soldier)

            I suppose that a military rank cheveron (private/sargent. .)is about
            the right scale, but impractical since very many would be needed to
            cover 5x22 inches. Thanks.
            --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroup s.com, Shere'e <shereerobinson@ ...> wrote:

            > Have you tried looking at a uniform shop? Something is triggering in
            > the back of my head that I have seen something like this on a modern
            > uniform. Maybe they may have it or something really close to what you
            > are looking for.
            >
            > Miranda

          • Rick Orli
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              Yes it is a great idea, thank you. Right away I found a 2-tone gold
              striped fabric, with stripes a little more than an inch wide that
              would be pretty good for turning into cheverons that are 6-7 inches
              long (including the up&down halves). I suppose I would want to do
              elements that are 5.5 inches long or 7 1/3 inches long, (or a hair
              more) so that it would complete the pattern around the typical head
              size of 22 -22.5 inches or so. Now this is not exactly right, of
              course (the original was clearly embroidered) and I would not do it
              for just one for personal use, but may pass if I need to crank out
              several in a hurry.-Rick
              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cember <sapphire_chan@...>