House Elves, (was: Re: belts)

  • Marioun
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
      After all if you're bringing
      > > them to an event, a pillowcase isn't really much of an attempt at
      > > pre 17th
      > > century garb is it? ;-)

      Ive made garb for my kids out of pillowcases, some of my best work in
      fact. You can find some really neat patterns in bedding fabric. Too
      bad im too big to wrap a pillowcase around. My oldest is getting too
      big too...

      Ghita
    • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
        Well I'm of the mind be as period as your pocket book will allow. My favorite gard is treo of bed sheets for kimonos. It turned out better than the kimono I made from frabric from joanns.

        If I were to use period material I would need a part time job just to get the fabric for my elizabethan , not that is a bad idea. Doing the various arts and traveling to events I do need a 2nd job to support my habbits. LOL

        Lady Elizabeth

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      • Kimiko Small
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
          At 09:50 PM 11/30/2006, you wrote:
          >Oh! Ouch! and that book has been at $72 for the last several months. Maybe
          >they jacked it up for Christmas. Mine has dozens of little sticky things
          >marking pages of stuff that is just fascinating. Beds with Ann Boleyn's
          >heraldry embroidered on the testor and Jane Seymour's cipher on the
          >coverlet! Six pairs of knitted hose (for Henry - knitting well before Queen
          >Elizabeth). The catalogue of the man who died with the most and there fore
          >was the dead winner!
          >
          >Regina

          You are making me drool... stop that! {sigh} I guess I will wait for the
          next sale, which will come around again someday. I just need to keep a
          closer eye on them.

          Joane
        • Wanda Pease
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hmm.... Something must have gotten cut off. The book I'm talking about is
            The Inventories of Henry VIII. It is a Large volume that contains the
            inventory of everything Henry VIII owned when he died. Includes ships and
            cannon as well as horses. Lots of furniture (be careful a table can mean a
            painting rather than what we think of as a table). It has been on the David
            Brown Bargain site for at least the last 6 months at $72, when it was
            originally priced at about $180. I'm horrified to find that they seem to
            have taken it off the bargain section and doubled its price. Believe me, it
            is a book worth $140 (I actually paid more than that for mine which is why I
            was so burned when I saw the cheaper price :-)

            Think of all the things you would like to know about what Henry owned, or
            what he used. Several pairs of spectacles for instance! He had them made
            by the dozen because he would put them down and lose them. Needlework,
            portraits, broken little boxes containing a bit of chalk. Think what an
            inventory of your house would tell the archeologist of 500 years from now!

            They were supposed to come out with a second volume that translated some of
            the item and showed pictures of what they could find, but it never came off.
            The English isn't hard to read as it is although I do recommend a decent
            English dictionary and saying some of the words out loud to figure out what
            some of them are.

            Regina

          • MsTree
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
              sparklingeyes1974@... wrote:

              > <snip>Doing the various arts and traveling to events I do need a 2nd job to support my habbits. LOL

              Think I need new glasses. Read this as supporting her "hobbits". Either that or I need to read LotR again. :-)

              Does anyone have information about plain leather belts? What period and or country? What length in general? Were they punched like belts of today with a pronged buckle or did they fasten some other way? Would like to
              replace my 15 year old painted belt with something a little more in my period of the last third of 12th century Ireland.

              Báine
            • unclrashid
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
                --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, MsTree <baine@...> wrote:

                > sparklingeyes1974@... wrote:
                >
                > > <snip>Doing the various arts and traveling to events I do need a
                2nd job to support my habbits. LOL

                > Think I need new glasses. Read this as supporting her "hobbits".
                Either that or I need to read LotR again. :-)

                > Does anyone have information about plain leather belts? What
                period and or country? What length in general? Were they punched
                like belts of today with a pronged buckle or did they fasten some
                other way? Would like to
                > replace my 15 year old painted belt with something a little more
                in my period of the last third of 12th century Ireland.

                > Báine

                In general, the leather belts that we know of (which I think are
                mostly 1300's forward) had one-prong or two-prong buckles. Length
                and width varied with period, but I have no idea about that period
                in Ireland.

                The general consensus amongst authenticity-minded people seems to be
                that the common double-D-ring closure we see on many SCC belts has
                no documentable basis.

                Have you checked Kass Mcgann's site for Irash garb? I think she has
                a summary of all the extant pieces that we know of. IF there is
                nothing there, then you would need to look for extant belts from
                somplace close by like England, France or Denmark.