Re: [SCA-Garb] Re: A rather annoying problem.

  • Lente
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
      How about stenciling a design around the entire neckline? Just do the design
      deep enough to cover up the white mark and repeat it around the whole
      neckline. If you don't want to make up a design from scratch I have seen
      some of the premade stencils that might work with a bit of layout planning.
      Fleurs, vining, acanthus leaves all have been made in stencils. If you don't
      want a high contrast design, do one that is just a shade or two darker than
      the base fabric, I think it would be very pretty.

      One of our local ladies has held several classes on stenciling garb at A&S
      collegiums. She does the stenciling, even though block printing has been
      used in several locations within the SCA timeframe, because she can get
      better results with the stencils. She uses regular craft acrylic paints with
      a textile medium added to keep the designs on the garb for a longer time. In
      one of the classes we made cooler clothes and even though we didn't use
      textile medium mine is still in good condition even through several washings
      and several years of use. I tend to use mine to cover a foot locker nowadays
      and use a double thick layered cloth for the cooler.

      Kathws

      Originally sent:
      >>okay, been reading the list on this problem. As to removing the white
      >>residue, don't think you can. That's the residue of the chemical reaction
      >>and it is basically a *stain* on the fabric. I checked with all my dry
      >>cleaner buddies, and they agree it isn't going to come out.

      Lars sent:
      > Using a fabric marker in the color of the fabric (slightly darker,
      actually to help darken over the white and still stay in same range) is a
      good choice. If you want to have more control even than that...go with Rit
      Dye in a the same color applied in layers with a small artists brush until
      you hit the right concentration of color.