Cold and Wet

  • Jo Parker
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2006
      I will be attending Bar Gemels, in An Tir, in April. I'm planning on lots of layering to keep out the cold and wet, which is quite normal for this area this time of year.

      I am a dedicated devotee of linen and wool for all my garb, so I can adjust to heat and cold rather easily, but the husband and son are stuck with cotton pants. (I'll put a pair of sweat pants under the garb for the 10 year old to keep him warm, and the husband is a big fan of long johns so that should work for him.) I'm planning on shortening my skirts a bit to prevent dragging in the mud, even it it's not entirely authentic -- that wicking the moisture up the skirt thing makes for a long and rather uncomfortable day.

      Any additional thoughts, suggestions?

      Jocasta -- who will be camping under the banners of The Orc Sass Swamp and The Good Boat Kiss My A**

    • Adrienne Lapp
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2006
        Wool trousers are easy to do! Either using a period pattern, or a modern -
        wool will be a far better fibre than cotton as you are undoubtedly aware.
        Since the old addage "cotton kills", cotton does not retain heat when wet -
        thus leading to chills and worse.

        I make my lord's trousers from a VERY simply pattern. Two rectangles
        (tapered to ankle for his Norse persona) for each leg with a gusset in the
        crotch. They are draw string closure at the top. He'll be getting a pair
        of linen boxers to wear under them to completely eliminate the cotton
        content in his camping garb. A commercial pattern for PJ bottoms (just a
        plain straight legged pant) would work for young and adult alike.

        As for your long skirts, kilting them up under your belt is a very "period"
        approach. I've seen many an engraving/art work with working class women
        having their skirts pulled up through their belts to keep their hems free of
        the ground.

        I'm in An Tir, too, so I can readily identify with the rain & mud.

        Ragnhildr

        On 3/29/06, Jo Parker <jocasta47@...> wrote:

        > I will be attending Bar Gemels, in An Tir, in April. I'm planning on lots
        > of layering to keep out the cold and wet, which is quite normal for this
        > area this time of year.
        >
        > I am a dedicated devotee of linen and wool for all my garb, so I can
        > adjust to heat and cold rather easily, but the husband and son are stuck
        > with cotton pants. (I'll put a pair of sweat pants under the garb for the 10
        > year old to keep him warm, and the husband is a big fan of long johns so
        > that should work for him.) I'm planning on shortening my skirts a bit to
        > prevent dragging in the mud, even it it's not entirely authentic -- that
        > wicking the moisture up the skirt thing makes for a long and rather
        > uncomfortable day.
        >
        > Any additional thoughts, suggestions?
        >
        > Jocasta -- who will be camping under the banners of The Orc Sass Swamp
        > and The Good Boat Kiss My A**

      • Christine Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2006
          Hello Jocasta,

          I don't know what period you're doing, but we have strong visual evidence
          for shortened skirts on working women in both the 15th and 16th centuries.
          Quite possibly before as well, I'm just not as familiar with earlier
          periods.

          Perfect idea on the under layers for your husband and son. When it's cold in
          Caid, I also put a thermal t-shirt on under my son's tunic. (He's early
          period, I'm late.)

          If you're going to be cold at all, consider warm bloomers - also period for
          the 16th century - and/or warm hosen. You can also wear thermal leggings and
          I'll never tell!

          Caitlin

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
            snip>>
            I make my lord's trousers from a VERY simply pattern. Two rectangles
            (tapered to ankle for his Norse persona) for each leg with a gusset in the
            crotch. They are draw string closure at the top. <.

            Ragnhildr,

            Could you please tell me what shape you use for the gusset?
            I am about to make some linen pants and am not using a pattern.

            Thanks,

            Lyonet

          • Adrienne Lapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
              A square. :)

              Ragnhildr

              --
              Adrienne Lapp
              http://linuxwitch.com

            • Jo Parker
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2006
                The wool trousers are in the plans for the grown-up male, but I have to get him to the Mill End store to choose his own fabric. Yes, he's that picky. He has some linen pants, but they are very light weight and just won't do in April. He loves them in August, though!

                The short one is growing soooo fast I'm keeping it on the cheap with clothes for him. He has wool tunics, which I can make large enough for one season, and lengthen for the next season, but pants are so easy to make I just run up three or four pair at a time so he can change when needed. We also have a younger nephew, so the pants get passed down for another go round before they hit the trash heap.

                Thanks for the inspiration, and I hope to run into you some time this summer.

                Jocasta
              • Adrienne Lapp
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                  Ditto on the mill store. Mine's super fussy about his garb, too. So far,
                  it's black trousers. Black wool, black (heavy) linen. Pfft. At least he's
                  relatively easy on his clothing, as he's not a fighter.

                  I'll be at 40 Year and perhaps Springfest/Newcomers (Wastekeep/Akornebir) in
                  June.

                  My Household has three growing youth in it, so I can readily identify with
                  the difficulty of garbing kids!

                  Ragnhildr

                  On 3/30/06, Jo Parker <jocasta47@...> wrote:

                  > The wool trousers are in the plans for the grown-up male, but I have to
                  > get him to the Mill End store to choose his own fabric. Yes, he's that
                  > picky. He has some linen pants, but they are very light weight and just
                  > won't do in April. He loves them in August, though!
                  >
                  > The short one is growing soooo fast I'm keeping it on the cheap with
                  > clothes for him. He has wool tunics, which I can make large enough for one
                  > season, and lengthen for the next season, but pants are so easy to make I
                  > just run up three or four pair at a time so he can change when needed. We
                  > also have a younger nephew, so the pants get passed down for another go
                  > round before they hit the trash heap.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the inspiration, and I hope to run into you some time this
                  > summer.
                  >
                  > Jocasta

                • KallipygosRed
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                    Boy, Howdy!
                    I just raised two that I had to garb, and I have a friend who just had her fourth! Jeeze. Thank heaven's I'm a seamstress. And I taught the kids early on, too, to make simple stuff for themselves.

                    My friend has it a little easier as she can make stuff, and hand down.

                    But boy. Having kids in garb can be a never ending situation of "I need". One of the other lists I'm on stated that they have a Gold Key Box for the kids. It started out as just loaner garb, but now everyone gives to and takes from the box as needed. I thought that was a great idea. I made a Landskenect Girl outfit (complete with the big feathered hat) for a friend when her baby girl was born. I've seen it on three babes since then. That makes me *happy*. (She kept the hat though, for posterity). Lol.

                    Lars

                    Adrienne Lapp <linuxwitch@...> wrote:
                    My Household has three growing youth in it, so I can readily identify with
                    the difficulty of garbing kids!

                    Ragnhildr

                    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

                    -Charles Kingsley