Darning mushrooms and eggs?

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Does anyone know what the earliest evidence for darning mushrooms,
      eggs or other darning aids are. I know they go back at least 100 yrs,
      but beyond that I have no recollection of ever seeing any reference or
      depiction of one. DH does a bit of wood turning and I want him to make
      me some, and of course the earlier the better. Any leads anyone???
      cheers
      Sally

      www.sallypointer.com
    • ketamina06
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Sally" <sallypointer@y...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know what the earliest evidence for darning mushrooms,
        > eggs or other darning aids are. I know they go back at least 100
        yrs,
        > but beyond that I have no recollection of ever seeing any
        reference or
        > depiction of one. >>SNIP<<

        > Sally

        Here's a link to a quarterly newsletter of a semi-local historical
        society that talks about the history of darning eggs and other
        implements:

        http://www.seasidemuseum.org/newsletter/march2005.pdf

        Quote: "The first known darning aids date back to the 1600s. The
        first known sock repair goes back to 300 to 400 AD: to a Roman felt
        sock that contained several repairs."

        For authenticity's sake that may not go back quite far enough, if
        one goes by this article. Perhaps someone else will have better luck
        than me. :)

        L. Keterlyn
      • barb gable
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
          Sally, I don`t have my OWN evidence on these things, but I DID find a site that claims that darning eggs existed in the 1600`s...and that sock repairs existed in the Roman times!
          http://www.seasidemuseum.org/newsletter/march2005.pdf

          Sorry, all I can find online so far...
          -barbara-

          Sally <sallypointer@...> wrote:
          Does anyone know what the earliest evidence for darning mushrooms,
          eggs or other darning aids are. I know they go back at least 100 yrs,
          but beyond that I have no recollection of ever seeing any reference or
          depiction of one. DH does a bit of wood turning and I want him to make
          me some, and of course the earlier the better. Any leads anyone???
          cheers
          Sally

          www.sallypointer.com

          Helpful email addresses:
          Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Main group web page:

          Medieval and renaissance costume Society for creative anachronism Medieval time dinner and tournament

          ---------------------------------

          BarbG/artsybarb

          Feather and Rock Paintings
          http://barbgable.com

          See current Ebay listings: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shadyladyblue

        • Sally
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
            Thats a useful start, thank-you. Must go and track down that Roman
            sock now...
            Sally

            --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...>