Re: EEek! Worsted Wool/dye remover

  • Karen J. Park
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
      --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Ælfwyn Farspeaker <farspeaker@g...>
      wrote:
      ---snipped---
      > I will probably try Wine or even Scarlet. I know I will probably not
      get the color on the box, but any deep red would make me happy.
      ---snipped---

      I'm new to dying fabrics, but I had a "bad" experience with the Wine
      colored Rit Dye. I was only doing 4 mundane t-shirts (2 in toddler
      size). I used the whole bottle of dye. I didn't get a color anywhere
      near the "dark" wine on the bottle. It came out as more of a magenta
      crayon color. (And as someone else mentioned, the color has faded
      with each wash.) Be very leery of getting a dark color with Rit.
      Even my more experienced friends have had similar problems.

      Constanza MdeH
    • Ælfwyn Farspeaker
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
        Okay, so Rit is out. I'm looking at dyes on Dharma trading, may even give
        them a call... here is another question.

        Should I make the dress BEFORE I dye it?

        I figured that would 1) assuage my impatience while waiting for dye to
        arrive and 2) make it so there is less fabric to dye (although not much,
        it'll take every bit of 4 yards to make the gown I want.)

        cons: if the dress comes out some hideous color, I've wasted all that
        effort......

        --
        Ælfwyn
        http://madseamstress.blogspot.com

      • barb gable
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
          I`m of the opinion that no sewing effort is wasted; if the color is awful, one could always dye it black or some other dark color...even brown!
          Good luck!
          -barbara-

          Ælfwyn Farspeaker <farspeaker@...> wrote:
          Okay, so Rit is out. I'm looking at dyes on Dharma trading, may even give
          them a call... here is another question.

          Should I make the dress BEFORE I dye it?

          I figured that would 1) assuage my impatience while waiting for dye to
          arrive and 2) make it so there is less fabric to dye (although not much,
          it'll take every bit of 4 yards to make the gown I want.)

          cons: if the dress comes out some hideous color, I've wasted all that
          effort......

          BarbG/artsybarb

          Feather and Rock Paintings
          http://barbgable.com

          See current Ebay listings: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shadyladyblue

        • Ælfwyn Farspeaker
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
            Yep and the truth is, it's a bliaut. There really, really isn't a lot to it.
            two side seams and neck and hem, I plan on embroidery or trim later.

            I talked to Dharma Trading, boy are they great! And Acid dyes will NOT stain
            your washer, according to them. it sticks only to the protein fiber, so.....
            I'm ordering! I even picked the color - crimson. Wish me luck!

            On 12/30/05, barb gable <artsybarb2000@...> wrote:

            > I`m of the opinion that no sewing effort is wasted; if the color is awful,
            > one could always dye it black or some other dark color...even brown!

          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, barb gable <artsybarb2000@y...>
              wrote:

              > I`m of the opinion that no sewing effort is wasted; if the color is
              awful, one could always dye it black or some other dark color...even
              brown!
              > Good luck!
              > -barbara-
              >
              > Ælfwyn Farspeaker <farspeaker@g...> wrote:
              > Okay, so Rit is out. I'm looking at dyes on Dharma trading, may
              even give
              > them a call... here is another question.
              >
              > Should I make the dress BEFORE I dye it?

              You can end up with darker areas along the seams, almost as if you'd
              outlined each piece of the garment after (or in order to) cutting it
              out but before sewing it together.
              I don't disagree with Barb that no sewing effort is wasted, because
              in the end you'd have learned something *and* you'd have a usable
              piece of garb; but, didn't this thread contain, a while back on the
              dyeing question, a pronounced preference for avoiding brown, dark
              brown, and black if at all possible?

              > I figured that would 1) assuage my impatience while waiting for dye
              > arrive and 2) make it so there is less fabric to dye (although not
              much,
              > it'll take every bit of 4 yards to make the gown I want.)
              >
              > cons: if the dress comes out some hideous color, I've wasted all
              that
              > effort......

              I understand the impatience, but---and this is coming from my own
              preferences, of course---I think if this were my own situation, I'd
              prefer to have the dress in some less dramatic, less intense tint or
              shade of a color I found at the least *acceptable,* rather than a
              hideous one. YMMV, of course.

              > BarbG/artsybarb

              Yseult the Gentle
            • unclrashid
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                Depending on how full the skirt is (and how many gores you have) it
                is possible that you could end up with some places in the folds of
                the skirt that don't get as much dye. With a lightweight fabric it
                is usually less risky than with a heavier weight.

                Rashid

                wrote:

                > Okay, so Rit is out. I'm looking at dyes on Dharma trading, may
                even give
                > them a call... here is another question.
                >
                > Should I make the dress BEFORE I dye it?
                >
                > I figured that would 1) assuage my impatience while waiting for
                dye to
                > arrive and 2) make it so there is less fabric to dye (although not
                much,
                > it'll take every bit of 4 yards to make the gown I want.)
                >
                > cons: if the dress comes out some hideous color, I've wasted all
                that
                > effort......
                >

                > On 12/30/05, Karen J. Park <stanza693@w...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Ælfwyn Farspeaker
                <farspeaker@g...>
                > > wrote:
                > > ---snipped---
                > > > I will probably try Wine or even Scarlet. I know I will
                probably not
                > > get the color on the box, but any deep red would make me happy.
                > > ---snipped---
                > >
                > > I'm new to dying fabrics, but I had a "bad" experience with the
                Wine
                > > colored Rit Dye. I was only doing 4 mundane t-shirts (2 in
                toddler
                > > size). I used the whole bottle of dye. I didn't get a color
                anywhere
                > > near the "dark" wine on the bottle. It came out as more of a
                magenta
                > > crayon color. (And as someone else mentioned, the color has
                faded
                > > with each wash.) Be very leery of getting a dark color with Rit.
                > > Even my more experienced friends have had similar problems.
                > >
                > > Constanza MdeH
                > >

                > > Helpful email addresses:
                > > Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > >
                > > Main group web page:

                > > ------------------------------
                > >

                > --
                > Ælfwyn
                > http://madseamstress.blogspot.com

              • Lisa Cortes
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                  It is prob safe enough to cut the pieces (esp if you serge the edges). But,
                  I think you are better off waiting until they are dyed before sewing them
                  together.
                • Jessica
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                    From the look of your colour, you shouldn't have to worry too much about
                    overdying. The colour is pale enough that you won't notice a huge
                    difference from the dye. I find that having a little extra colour in your
                    fabric to start out with makes for a better colour when dyed.

                    My two cent's worth,

                    Findabhair

                  • Ælfwyn Farspeaker
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                      Yes, BUT. most thread here is polyester. or cotton covered poly. I'm worried
                      about how that will dye. though I supose that the serged edges will be
                      inside... still, I had entertained some thought about handsewing this,
                      soooooooo......(I'm actually a person that loves handsewing).

                      So, being as its wool, and the edges are probably safe from raveling, esp on
                      the bias. I think I'll cut, then dye, then sew.

                      Ælfwyn

                      On 12/30/05, Lisa Cortes <cortlimi@...> wrote:

                      > It is prob safe enough to cut the pieces (esp if you serge the edges).
                      > But,
                      > I think you are better off waiting until they are dyed before sewing them
                      > together.

                    • Svanhildr Valdimarsdottir
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                        Ok, this is maybe a stupid question, but how is "bliaut" pronounced? I'm sure
                        that what my mind is saying cannot be correct..

                        Thank you. Oh, and I love your blog page, Ælfwyn!

                        ~Svanny <wishing you luck on the dying!>

                        --- Ælfwyn Farspeaker <farspeaker@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
                        Yep and the truth is, it's a bliaut. There really, really isn't a lot to it.
                        two side seams and neck and hem, I plan on embroidery or trim later.

                        I talked to Dharma Trading, boy are they great! And Acid dyes will NOT stain
                        your washer, according to them. it sticks only to the protein fiber, so.....
                        I'm ordering! I even picked the color - crimson. Wish me luck!

                        Svanhildr Valdimarsdottir
                        PU, two winged cats sejant respectant dexter paws raised
                        and in chief a decrescent AR
                      • Ælfwyn Farspeaker
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 31, 2005
                          Blee-o

                          That looks weird phonetically. LOL

                          thanks for the good wishes!

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 31, 2005
                            Dyeing is much better done before you sew the garment together. Sometimes
                            when you "piece dye" a garment, you'll find areas that the dye doesn't
                            spread to, such as seam allowances and areas with lots of layers. It's much
                            better to dye your fabric first. This makes sure that all of the pieces of
                            the garment are dyed evenly.

                            Findabhair

                          • Jessica
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 31, 2005
                              According to the French that I took in school, Bliaut would be pronounced
                              "blee-oh". I have heard it pronounced many ways, though.

                              Hope this helps,

                              Findabhair

                            • Maura Townsend
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 1, 2006
                                --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Jessica" <noinini@t...> wrote:

                                > According to the French that I took in school, Bliaut would be
                                pronounced
                                > "blee-oh". I have heard it pronounced many ways, though.

                                However, in the 12th century, the soft or silent t hadn't quite
                                evolved yet (this is borne out by poetry of the time, where the
                                consonant must be pronounced to produced the apparent desired rhyme).
                                At the time, it would probably have been pronounced "blee-oht" or
                                "blay-ot", with the ending consonant being harder the more southern
                                influence there was locally.

                                Marguerie
                              • Jessica
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 1, 2006
                                  Thank you, Marguerie! I am glad to hear the "period" pronunciation of this
                                  word.

                                  The handouts are great, by the way!

                                  Findabhair

                                  -----

                                • jclaneva@earthlink.net
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 5, 2006
                                    I found this dye made for protein fibers such as wool and silk while I was
                                    cruising Knit Picks website. I thought someone might find it handy. If
                                    you're a knitter or crocheter, you'll want to look over this place anyway,
                                    as their wool prices are some of the best I've seen. NAYY, just passing
                                    along possibly useful information. :)

                                    http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_display.aspx?itemid=80196

                                    In service,

                                    Jannifer