RE: [SCA-Garb] OT-hair and skin help needed

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2004
      Oooh, don't forget the mayo and cling film wrap. WONDERFUL!

      Soffya

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2004
        I am also another fan of olive oil. Apply to the hair, work it in, and wrap head in heated towel. Leave in for about an hour (if it really needs it), then shampoo out. Just make sure you keep the hair covered or you're going to get everything oily.

        -A'isha (mka Ro)

      • Ciorstan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2004
          Ro Bourdeau wrote:

          > I am also another fan of olive oil. Apply to the hair, work it in, and wrap head in heated towel. Leave in for about an hour (if it really needs it), then shampoo out. Just make sure you keep the hair covered or you're going to get everything oily.
          >
          > -A'isha (mka Ro)

          Yes. It is also a folk remedy for lice-- which one of my kids brought
          home from school a couple of weeks ago. Ewwww! My daughter and I both
          smeared olive oil over our hair (I didn't have them, but I thought that
          misery loves company...), wrapped our hair up in one of those
          turbie-twist thingies for about 4 hours, and had gloriously silky,
          smooth hair as a side effect. It washes out with shampoo.

          The oil killed all the bugs (smothered them), but didn't do anything
          about the eggs. That we had to deal with separately.

          ciorstan
        • kilmye@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2004
            In a message dated 6/1/2004 8:10:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ciorstan@... writes:
            Yes. It is also a folk remedy for lice-- which one of my kids brought
            home from school a couple of weeks ago. Ewwww! My daughter and I both
            smeared olive oil over our hair (I didn't have them, but I thought that
            misery loves company...),
            I've not heard of olive oil for that, but it makes sense. I have heard of
            mayonaise (not to be confused with Miracle Whip or equivalent, which has
            different ingredients, which may or may not work). My kids watch that Arthur cartoon
            on PBS, based on the books. There is a lice episode and they put mayonaise on
            their hair. That doesn't look like a lot of fun, but way more fun than lice.

            Kiley

          • cynthiavirtue
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2004
              > try to remember to bring my own real soap and use that intead of
              sanitizer
              > when I can. That stuff is hard on the skin, and encourages the
              development
              > of superbacteria,

              The ones that are alchol-based do not encourage antibiotic resistance
              (one such is Purell; here's their information about the subject:
              http://www.purell.com/news/news_antibacterial_safety.htm ) but they
              are indubitably hard on the skin.

              I'm with the olive oil fan club. Easy, cheap, effective. I save the
              good smelling stuff for when I don't need to use the sanitizers
              several times a day.

              Cynthia du Pre Argent
            • lente@cableone.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2004
                Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:41:51

                Okay now I have some good choices. Thanks everybody. I have some of the
                lansiloh and was planning for it to go next camping event for my son and his
                very chapped thumb, but I will definitely plann on using it also, I will
                look for the udder cream stuff, Ive used the bag balm before but I think I
                want something more cream based than it. He's the main reasoon I was using
                the santizer, I didn't want to pick him up after using the portapotties and
                he was being very clingy this weekend, so almost no chance to use a lotion
                before picking him up.

                BTW my hair is the baby fine that tangles up at a glance type, so most of
                the time I end up with it in a ponytail that I braid. Keeps it from tangling
                up and driving me batty, there was just so much dust in the air this last
                weekend that even braided it ended up all dust filled.

                thanks again
                Kathws

                the term 'baby underfoot' just became literal instead of figurative...he's
                crawling.
              • Kat Dyer
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2004
                  lente@... wrote:

                  > BTW my hair is the baby fine that tangles up at a glance type, so most
                  > of the time I end up with it in a ponytail that I braid. Keeps it from
                  > tangling up and driving me batty, there was just so much dust in the
                  > air this last weekend that even braided it ended up all dust filled.

                  Sister!! I have the very same problem! If you look at my hair it
                  tangles! And my daughter's hair is exactly the same way. I do early
                  period and normally don't wear anything over my hair but I keep a coif &
                  a scarf in my gear for sites like that. Coifs tend to do better btw...
                  even with a scarf the dust will sneak up under... whereas a snugly
                  fitting coif will generally do better... and I make sure to tuck my hair
                  up under my coif (oh dear... I feel a filk coming on... "I'm going to
                  tuck my hair up under my coif, I'm going to tuck my hair up under my
                  coif, I'm going to tuck my hair up under my coif... to keep the dust
                  away...")... anyway... best of luck with the babe... my son was very
                  clingy... he spent most of his first two years in a sling when we were
                  out... otherwise I'd never have gotten *anything* done!

                  Kat

                  --
                  Feeder of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Kitty Horde
                  Official Bard & Evile Instigator of the Tunic Anti-Defamation League
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 4, 2004
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 21, 2004
                      I use a leave in conditioner by Dove and LOVE V05's new detangler.

                      Now for cream I splurge. Williams-Sonoma has a Lavendar hand cream to DIE
                      for. I do massive cleaning at work, the to 2-3 layers of epidermus on ALL
                      fingertips are GONE!

                      But I use this when I get home and several times during the day. Here's the
                      link:

                      It's in my personal sink (my master bath has 2 sinks!)

                      YIS.

                      Soffya