15th century french man's wedding garb

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      Hail all,
      I am looking for wedding attire for a 15th century french man. Does
      anyone know what he would wear of where I could look to find out. The
      wedding will be in August, so I haven't got much time to get him
      properly dressed. Although the gentleman is from the mid 14th
      century, he said he would be flexable for the 15th century through no
      later than 1510. Thanks.
      Amie of Briaroak
      Minister of Arts and Science
      Shire of Briaroak
      Principality of the Summits
      Kingdom of AnTir
    • unclrashid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <amy@s...> wrote:
        > Hail all,
        > I am looking for wedding attire for a 15th century french man.
        Does
        > anyone know what he would wear of where I could look to find out.
        The
        > wedding will be in August, so I haven't got much time to get him
        > properly dressed. Although the gentleman is from the mid 14th
        > century, he said he would be flexable for the 15th century through
        no
        > later than 1510. Thanks.
        > Amie of Briaroak
        > Minister of Arts and Science
        > Shire of Briaroak
        > Principality of the Summits
        > Kingdom of AnTir

        To the best of my knowledge, wedding attire in this period (indeed,
        for most of the SCA period) would just be one's best outfit.

        So for this persona it would be a tunic along the lines of the ST
        Louis tunic, with chausses or split hosen, or perhaps a cotehardie
        if his persona is getting into the 1380's. Getting into the 15th
        century it would be a houppelande.

        French clothing was not real different from the rest of Northern
        Europe at this time. They were all dressed in a style that the
        modern historians call "international gothic" because it spanned so
        many countries.

        For more detail on the clothing of this period, you might wish to go
        the the yahoo newsgroup called "AOTC" which is an acronym for "age
        of the Cotehardie". Don't go the group that is actually called "age
        of the cotehardie" because that has been infested with porn-
        spammers.

        Rashid
      • Amy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
          Thank you. I will do that.
          Amie

          --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "unclrashid" <unclrashid@y...> wrote:
          > --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <amy@s...> wrote:
          > > Hail all,
          > > I am looking for wedding attire for a 15th century french man.
          > Does
          > > anyone know what he would wear of where I could look to find out.
          > The
          > > wedding will be in August, so I haven't got much time to get him
          > > properly dressed. Although the gentleman is from the mid 14th
          > > century, he said he would be flexable for the 15th century
          through
          > no
          > > later than 1510. Thanks.
          > > Amie of Briaroak
          > > Minister of Arts and Science
          > > Shire of Briaroak
          > > Principality of the Summits
          > > Kingdom of AnTir
          >
          > To the best of my knowledge, wedding attire in this period (indeed,
          > for most of the SCA period) would just be one's best outfit.
          >
          > So for this persona it would be a tunic along the lines of the ST
          > Louis tunic, with chausses or split hosen, or perhaps a cotehardie
          > if his persona is getting into the 1380's. Getting into the 15th
          > century it would be a houppelande.
          >
          > French clothing was not real different from the rest of Northern
          > Europe at this time. They were all dressed in a style that the
          > modern historians call "international gothic" because it spanned so
          > many countries.
          >
          > For more detail on the clothing of this period, you might wish to
          go
          > the the yahoo newsgroup called "AOTC" which is an acronym for "age
          > of the Cotehardie". Don't go the group that is actually
          called "age
          > of the cotehardie" because that has been infested with porn-
          > spammers.
          >
          > Rashid
        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004