Irish knitting

  • Kate Shue
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm brand new at this and just beginning to pull some garb together. I
      don't have any books and our local library is about the size of a large
      closet, so for now I'm having to rely on internet research. My question is
      about the Aran style of knitting. Does anyone know how far back it dates?
      One site says it's a 20th century American invention, and another says it
      goes back at least 1000 years in Ireland (though not on the Aran islands per
      se). If it's period (my persona is 16th century), I was thinking of
      knitting a shawl.

      Thanks,
      Grainne
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 7:48 AM
        I *think* there's a yahoo group on period knitting. It's been discussed on
        one of the groups I"m on -- just knitting in general, not Aran in particular.

        As for libraries -- that's why there's InterLibraryLoan. check with
        your library to see if they participate.

        Jerusha in Meridies.
      • Kate Shue
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 9:53 AM
          From: Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...>
          Subject: Re: Irish knitting

          >I *think* there's a yahoo group on period knitting. It's been discussed on
          >one of the groups I"m on -- just knitting in general, not Aran in
          particular.

          Thank you, Jerusha! I just found that list and joined it, so I'll ask
          there. The number of SCA-related lists on Yahoo is mind-boggling!

          >As for libraries -- that's why there's InterLibraryLoan. check with
          >your library to see if they participate.

          I did ask about that. They do participate, but told me that it can take
          several weeks to get a book in. In this case my question is fairly
          specific, so at this point I don't even have a clue what book(s) to ask for.
          But I'll work on that if the knitting list doesn't have the answer.

          Grainne
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4 7:14 PM
            > From: Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...>
            > Subject: Re: Irish knitting
            >
            > >I *think* there's a yahoo group on period knitting. It's been discussed on
            > >one of the groups I"m on -- just knitting in general, not Aran in
            > particular.
            >
            > Thank you, Jerusha! I just found that list and joined it, so I'll ask
            > there. The number of SCA-related lists on Yahoo is mind-boggling!

            Isn't that the truth! I wish yahoo could devise a schema for them so
            it would make finding what you're interested in easier to find!

            Jerusha
          • Jan C. Lane
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 6:26 AM
              Kate,

              Aran knitting is, indeed, a modern invention. The idea that the patterns go
              back a 1000 years or that particular families had particular patterns (like
              clan tartans) is pure romantic nonsense. If you're interested in period
              knitting, try to get your hands on a copy of Benjamin Rutt's History of Hand
              Knitting. The good bishop's research is impeccable, and for now it's the
              knitting historian's bible. For a history of social knitting (knitting for
              causes, etc) try running down a copy of Anne L. MacDonald's No Idle Hands: A
              History of American Social Knitting. It's an interesting read, if nothing
              else. :)

              In service,

              Jannifer