15th/16th century Spain/Iberia

  • Orion
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2004
      Hail & Well Met!

      I'm looking at a personna change and need some garb ideas.

      Considering 15th/16th Century Spain/Iberia...could even be Late
      Moorish.

      Looking at Cavalier, Spanish Pirate, or Conquistador.

      Any links to historical resources, images, suggestions, pattern
      referrals would be greatly appreciated!
    • Christina Homer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 9:13 PM

        > Considering 15th/16th Century Spain/Iberia...could even be Late
        > Moorish.
        >
        > Looking at Cavalier, Spanish Pirate, or Conquistador.
        >
        > Any links to historical resources, images, suggestions, pattern
        > referrals would be greatly appreciated!

        A super reference point is the Medieval_Spain yahoo group, especially
        for the Moorish information. They have a lot of specific information.

        As far as the other looks, http://www.abcgallery.com/index.html has
        art indexed by country, artist, style etc.

        Web searches work well for me, especially if I get very specific, for
        example, "16th Century Spanish Conquistador images". You may not get
        exactly what you want, but these types of searches always get me
        somewhere interesting.

        There are also these books:

        Hispanic Costume: 1480 - 1530
        by Ruth M. Anderson

        Your best bet to find this is abebooks.com

        Tailor's Pattern Book 1589
        by Juan De Alcega

        This one you can do a used booksearch on also, but can buy it new at
        quitespecificmedia.com but it is $40 new.

        Hope this helps some & welcome to Spain, you will like it here!

        Doca Beatriz Pantoja de Las Mercedes