Re: [SCA-Garb] Re: hanging sleeves in a knot

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      From: "Kass McGann" <historian@...>
      To: <SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 8:46 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Garb] Re: hanging sleeves in a knot

      > --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "J.May" <mnmay@c...> wrote:
      > > Can anyone tell me what I was wearing so many years ago? :) I
      > don't recall
      > > ever seeing that style dress in the SCA.
      >
      > I had one about 10 years ago, Samia, when I first got into the whole
      > medieval thing. I remember seeing a picture of it in a book, but
      > that book was Peacock's "English Fashion 1066-1966" which I know now
      > is a horrible source and not to be trusted. I wonder if it's in Hill
      > and Bucknell or Braun and Schneider too. Anyone have them and can
      > check for us?
      >
      > I recall that the dress supposedly dated to the Norman Invasion
      > (1066) or slightly later. It was really cool. But I don't do
      > anything earlier than 15th century anymore, so I have no idea if it
      > was fantasy or not.
      >
      > Kass

      I know I've seen it in one of those generic 2000 years costume books with
      line drawings I think it may have been called a history of English fashion.
      However I also have a vague recollection of a woman seated (probably the
      virgin Mary) wearing a pink? (or maybe dark blue) dress with the knots in
      her sleeves (she's making one of those gestures with her hands you often see
      in Orthodox icons) but this is a very fuzzy recollection, so you may want to
      look for yourself.
      Elizabeth

      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont
      MKA:
      Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
    • J.May
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        The dress I wore was made from a tapestry fabric. The width being knotted
        was about 6" .

        Samia