Fabric hunting

  • Bjorn Arnaldsson
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
      I'm hoping that either someone has great links for where to find
      fabric or perhaps could tell me what key-words I need to be using in
      my searches.

      I've been trying to keep an eye out for either patterns containing
      crosses, celtic knotwork, or spiral patterns. A really narrow
      search right? But I can't seem to find much that catches my eye.
      Or at least that catches my eye and is still cheap.

      I really like some of the stuff sold by Renaissance Fabrics on
      ebay. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=2750423 But the price seems a
      little high. Is this the standard price for things like this or is
      there anyplace that sells fabric cheaper. I've tried doing several
      web searches with keywords like "renaissance fabric" "celtic cross
      fabric" etc but can't come up with anything that even resembles the
      stuff that the ebay store has.

      As for the spirals I keep trying to find something similar to a
      fabric that was used in a cloak I bought. Some good pictures of it
      are here. http://www.celticcapers.com/702-29.htm Once again though
      internet searches don't seem to be bringing up anything similar. I
      know I can't get that exact fabric, (found at Joanns but
      discontinued a year or so ago) but surely there are similar fabrics
      out there?

      I'm located in Lynchburg, Virginia and there aren't many good stores
      that have what I like. Joanns and Wal-Mart occassionaly have a
      piece that's interesting but they don't have a large selection. I
      also check out a quilting store but they mainly have paisleys not
      the brocades that I would really like.

      So is there an online store with a large easily searchable
      collection that is most importantly inexpensive? Or am I going to
      always be doing this wait for something special to show up routine?

      Bjorn Arnaldsson
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
        Check equilter.com -- they have some rally cool designs.

        Jerusha
      • Cassandra Baker
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
          Your always gonna be waitng for that "sale"...lol but mean time try fabric.com the have some fabu stuff and ther price is descent.
          YIS
          Alerice

          Bjorn Arnaldsson <formo@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Helpful email addresses:
          Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Main group web page:

        • Talia
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
            Try block printing your own designs.

            Talia

            > I've been trying to keep an eye out for either patterns containing
            > crosses, celtic knotwork, or spiral patterns. A really narrow
            > search right? But I can't seem to find much that catches my eye.
            > Or at least that catches my eye and is still cheap.
            > Bjorn Arnaldsson
          • janeravenswood
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
              you can also occasionally find some upholstery fabrics with patterns
              like you're looking for. I have most luck searching on ebay by using
              keywords like "upholstery fabric", "tapestry fabric" "jacquard
              fabric" and also interchanging "fabric" with either "material"
              or "cloth". They usually don't specify what pattern is on the fabric
              in the title descriptions so you simply have to go into each entry
              and look at the photos. Time consuming but I've gotten some nifty
              fabrics for very little money that way because few others are willing
              or able to do that kind of searching.
              FYI, the neat celtic cross stuff that the Renaissance fabrics guy has
              on ebay are worth what you pay. You likely won't find cheaper. The
              fabric does fray madly so make sure you sew it quickly or finish the
              edges somehow.

              Darka

              --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Bjorn Arnaldsson" <formo@l...>
              wrote:
              > I'm hoping that either someone has great links for where to find
              > fabric or perhaps could tell me what key-words I need to be using
              in
              > my searches.
              >
              > I've been trying to keep an eye out for either patterns containing
              > crosses, celtic knotwork, or spiral patterns. A really narrow
              > search right? But I can't seem to find much that catches my eye.
              > Or at least that catches my eye and is still cheap.
              >
              > I really like some of the stuff sold by Renaissance Fabrics on
              > ebay. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=2750423 But the price seems a
              > little high. Is this the standard price for things like this or is
              > there anyplace that sells fabric cheaper. I've tried doing several
              > web searches with keywords like "renaissance fabric" "celtic cross
              > fabric" etc but can't come up with anything that even resembles the
              > stuff that the ebay store has.
              >
              > As for the spirals I keep trying to find something similar to a
              > fabric that was used in a cloak I bought. Some good pictures of it
              > are here. http://www.celticcapers.com/702-29.htm Once again
              though
              > internet searches don't seem to be bringing up anything similar. I
              > know I can't get that exact fabric, (found at Joanns but
              > discontinued a year or so ago) but surely there are similar fabrics
              > out there?
              >
              > I'm located in Lynchburg, Virginia and there aren't many good
              stores
              > that have what I like. Joanns and Wal-Mart occassionaly have a
              > piece that's interesting but they don't have a large selection. I
              > also check out a quilting store but they mainly have paisleys not
              > the brocades that I would really like.
              >
              > So is there an online store with a large easily searchable
              > collection that is most importantly inexpensive? Or am I going to
              > always be doing this wait for something special to show up routine?
              >
              > Bjorn Arnaldsson
            • unclrashid
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                wrote:

                > I really like some of the stuff sold by Renaissance Fabrics on
                > ebay. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=2750423 But the price seems
                > little high. Is this the standard price for things like this or
                is
                > there anyplace that sells fabric cheaper.

                These prices are about standard for that type of fabric. Most of
                them are 52 inches wide and some are 60.

                Keep in mind, however, that just because the dealer identifies it
                as "Tudor" or "Renaissance" does not mean others will agree with
                that characterization of the design.

                For the most part, these patterns appear to be suitable for
                renaissance or late gothic garb, with the exception of the paisley
                (which I do not believe can be documented for western garb,
                particularly in a random, all-over pattern) and the "tudor" pattern
                (sort of looks psuedo-byzantine to me, but not exactly right for
                that either). The patterns described as "celtic" seem to be a notch
                less authentic than the remainder (remember we have very few pieces
                extant Irish garb and textiles from period, and I don't recall any
                of them being brocade. I don't believe brocades were produced in
                Ireland in period).

                Rashid
              • elara_drake
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                  --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Talia" <talia@k...> wrote:
                  > Try block printing your own designs.
                  >
                  > Talia

                  **Just as an aside to the blockprinting idea, velvets, esp the
                  cotton or silk velvets can be stamped w/ linoleum cut blocks on the
                  front, and a hot steam iron on the back, and the stamp stays, if you
                  dry-clean them. Can look really cool. (mom's made several velvet
                  scarves for sale that way...)

                  WhiteRaven
                • Bella
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Hi all,

                    I recently got my hands on a bit of fabric with a default (it was cheap). It's a furnishing
                    fabric, poly/cotton I think, with a period-oid-ish pattern woven in. It's an olive/dark moss green
                    sheeny background (the poly bits) and the fault lies in the cotton bits which make up the pattern.
                    I'm not sure which is the fault and which is the intended colour, but the pattern is blotchy -
                    it's off white/cream in places, and light/dark tan in others. the colour is like when you scorch
                    cotton with an iron, only since the poly bits are unaffected, I don't think it was scorched. The
                    back of the fabric is likewise unaffected. I'm hoping that since poly doesn't dye readily, I can
                    successfully over-dye it and get a good result on the cotton bits. I'm not sure what colour to use
                    though, and what the result would be on the poly - any suggestions? :)

                    =====
                    *Owner, SCA-SocialHistory Mailing List
                    http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-SocialHistory/
                    *Moderator, Italian_Persona Mailing List
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Italian_Persona/

                    http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
                  • Lila Richards
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                      > I recently got my hands on a bit of fabric with a default (it was cheap).
                      It's a furnishing
                      > fabric, poly/cotton I think, with a period-oid-ish pattern woven in. It's
                      an olive/dark
                      > moss green sheeny background (the poly bits) and the fault lies in the
                      cotton bits which
                      > make up the pattern. I'm not sure which is the fault and which is the
                      intended colour, but
                      > the pattern is blotchy - it's off white/cream in places, and light/dark
                      tan in others. the
                      > colour is like when you scorch cotton with an iron, only since the poly
                      bits are
                      > unaffected, I don't think it was scorched. The back of the fabric is
                      likewise unaffected.
                      > I'm hoping that since poly doesn't dye readily, I can successfully
                      over-dye it and get a
                      > good result on the cotton bits. I'm not sure what colour to use
                      > though, and what the result would be on the poly - any suggestions? :)

                      Unless you particularly want the cotton part to be a different colour from
                      the poly, I should think a safe option would be to dye it the same green as
                      the background. That way, the worst that can happen is you'll get different
                      shades of the green. I'd also try dyeing a few swatches first, with whatever
                      colours you want to try. That way you'll get an idea of how well the poly
                      background will dye. Although synthetics don't usually take dye as well as
                      natural fibres, I wouldn't take it for granted that if you dyed it with, for
                      the sake of argument, red, you wouldn't end up with a red-and-brown fabric.

                      Good luck - I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

                      Sinech.
                      ________________________
                      An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
                      (The Truth against the World)
                    • n2kye
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > ...the fault lies in the cotton bits which make up the pattern.
                        > I'm not sure which is the fault and which is the intended colour,
                        > but the pattern is blotchy - it's off white/cream in places, and
                        > light/dark tan in others...
                        > ...I'm hoping that since poly doesn't dye readily, I can
                        > successfully over-dye it and get a good result on the cotton bits.

                        Before overdyeing, I'd take a swatch that included both the off-white
                        and the tan and try either bleaching out the color or using a dye
                        remover (or use two sets of swatches -- one in bleach, the other in
                        dye remover). If the problem areas are indeed *cotton*, this *might*
                        even out the color in those parts of the design.

                        *If* this processing evens out the color, then for best results you
                        should bleach/dye-remove, and then neutralize (e.g., rinse like hell
                        and run it through at least one wash load with detergent) before
                        overdyeing.

                        Brenda
                        webwarren@...
                      • Bella
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                          --- Lila Richards <lilar@...> wrote: >

                          > Unless you particularly want the cotton part to be a different colour from
                          > the poly, I should think a safe option would be to dye it the same green as
                          > the background.

                          I would prefer it to be different from the background - much more effective that way - but I'll
                          settle for the same colour, thanks for the suggestion! :)

                          > That way, the worst that can happen is you'll get different
                          > shades of the green. I'd also try dyeing a few swatches first, with whatever
                          > colours you want to try. That way you'll get an idea of how well the poly
                          > background will dye. Although synthetics don't usually take dye as well as
                          > natural fibres, I wouldn't take it for granted that if you dyed it with, for
                          > the sake of argument, red, you wouldn't end up with a red-and-brown fabric.

                          Ooh - red and brown sounds unusual enough to be interesting! That said, I'm glad I asked, because
                          I hadn't considered doing test swatches - thanks!

                          > Good luck - I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

                          Ok! It may be a while 'till I get 'round to doing it though - the piece is only large enough for a
                          forepart on an elizabethan, and I've yet to make my first one. :)

                          Bella

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                            --- n2kye <webwarren@...> wrote: > --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Bella
                            <bella_lucia_da_verona@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > > ...the fault lies in the cotton bits which make up the pattern.
                            > > I'm not sure which is the fault and which is the intended colour,
                            > > but the pattern is blotchy - it's off white/cream in places, and
                            > > light/dark tan in others...
                            > > ...I'm hoping that since poly doesn't dye readily, I can
                            > > successfully over-dye it and get a good result on the cotton bits.
                            >
                            > Before overdyeing, I'd take a swatch that included both the off-white
                            > and the tan and try either bleaching out the color or using a dye
                            > remover (or use two sets of swatches -- one in bleach, the other in
                            > dye remover). If the problem areas are indeed *cotton*, this *might*
                            > even out the color in those parts of the design.

                            Thanks Brenda, but wouldn't the bleach and the dye remover also remove the dye from the green
                            background? I would like to avoid having to remove the colour completely.

                            Bella

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                              wrote:

                              > > Before overdyeing, I'd take a swatch that included both the off-
                              > > white and the tan and try either bleaching out the color or using
                              > > a dye remover (or use two sets of swatches -- one in bleach, the
                              > > other in dye remover). If the problem areas are indeed *cotton*,
                              > > this *might* even out the color in those parts of the design.
                              >

                              > Thanks Brenda, but wouldn't the bleach and the dye remover also
                              > remove the dye from the green background?

                              Not if it's polyester! And that's also why you want to test it on
                              *swatches* rather than treat the whole piece right off.

                              > I would like to avoid having to remove the colour completely.

                              If the problem areas are cotton, and if they respond to the bleach or
                              dye remover, AND if the good parts are polyester (and/or dyed with a
                              permanent dye) you should end up with a fabric that's a green
                              background with white motifs.

                              Brenda
                              webwarren@...
                            • Bella
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 2, 2003
                                --- n2kye <webwarren@...> wrote:

                                > If the problem areas are cotton, and if they respond to the bleach or
                                > dye remover, AND if the good parts are polyester (and/or dyed with a
                                > permanent dye) you should end up with a fabric that's a green
                                > background with white motifs.

                                Thank you Brenda! Not having used colour remover before I had no idea that polyester wouldn't
                                react to it! :)

                                Bella

                                http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search
                              • jilbyfuzz
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
                                  I have to say Fabric .com is wonderful. I recently ordered 8 yards
                                  of a specialty fabric. I was able to get it and it's taffta lining
                                  for under 100, not to mention shipping was wonderful! I had it all
                                  withing 5 days of ordering it. They did 39 inch yards so you are not
                                  shorted. I highly recomend them.

                                  --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, Cassandra Baker <annadorla@y...>

                                  Service.

                                • Tammy McGee
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
                                    I am planning on making an "Irish" leine, does anyone
                                    know if they are difficult to make? What kind of
                                    fabric should I use? and Is there somewhere I can find
                                    a pattern to make one?

                                    http://shopping.yahoo.com