Re: [SCA-Garb] Mistress Cori's Kirtles

  • Amanda Bowen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
      >"oh good! I've been wanting someone to show me how to do that! Where shall
      >we go so you can give me a lesson?!" The good one's will walk you to their
      >encampent and you'll be off and running.

      Of course the bad ones (I love garb snarks!)* will run wildly in the
      direction of their encampment and you'll never see them again, but hey!

      Galiana

      * I love garb snarks when I'm in the mood for dealing out justice. All you
      have to do is ask them if they showed up to the event in a car, and they
      blush and run away! Serves em right.

    • hollimhartman <hmhartman@prodigy.net>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2003
        I have been trying to look at it and can't seem to get it to come up.

        Holli

        --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Talia" <khanson@k...> wrote:
        > Oops, sorry for not adding the url! I must be having a blonde day!
        Try this:

        > www.work-bytes.com/medieval/kirtle.gif
        >
        > Hope it helps.
        >
        > Talia

      • Katharine Daniel
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          Talia:

          It seems that link is down. When I went to view it,
          albeit very early in the am, I got an error... Which
          bums me out, since I'm interested in looking at other
          styles and trying to incorporate...

          Although I play Central Asian, I'm always interested
          in finding new over-tunic or under-tunic styles. I
          usually use a simple, tight-fitting underdress to go
          under the silk tunics or I'm attempting a linen
          over-tunic, with gores and gussets. There's a great
          one in the SCA-Persian list files, that's greyish with
          black embroidery. I'll probably work on that once I'm
          done with the 50-gazillion shire favors I'm
          cross-stitching... ;D

          Soooo, as you guys can see, I cross-pollinate a bit,
          mostly because I'm looking for comfort (and am losing
          some weight, not complaining :D) and ease of taking
          in... So, this list has been incredibly interesting,
          because it's helping me expand my sewing breadth...
          Of course, my little binder I use to store all my
          Central Asian information needs to find a larger
          binder-home... :D

          Thanks for all your help and great advice, although I
          usually lurk.

          Tooooodles, back to lurking! Maimuna

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Talia
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
            Okay, no idea why. It seems to be working as it should. However, I uploaded
            it to our files section too so that those of you having trouble can see it.
            Again, it's a 2-minute quick sketch so don't expect anything fab.

            Though, if anyone lives in my area (Kansas City) and wants to get together I
            can show you how I make this pattern and help you to get it fitted...

            Talia
            I have been trying to look at it and can't seem to get it to come up.

            Holli

            --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Talia" <khanson@k...> wrote:
            > Oops, sorry for not adding the url! I must be having a blonde day!
            Try this:

            > www.work-bytes.com/medieval/kirtle.gif
            >
            > Hope it helps.
            >
            > Talia

            Helpful email addresses:
            Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Main group web page:

          • Alex Doyle
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
              Holli,
              If you haven't "got it" from the sketch that Talia posted yet, let me add something that with her sketch might do it.
              Think of this as a chart or graph. The center line of the body is your starting point. for each of the measurements that you need to complete the chart, you actually have to do two measurements. One straight down from the starting point, the base of your throat to the point you are measuring, say the bust line. Then You take that measurement, do the quartering and that gives you the measurement for that point. You continue down the center line, taking both measurements as you go. This is because the distance to your bust may be different than mine and will greatly effect your fit.
              When all the measurements are done, you should have a chart with points on it that you then connect the dots for the body outline.

              It's not a matter of being stupid, it's figuring out how your mind has to wrap around this information to make it work, and until it clicks it can be very frustrating. Take deep breathes and say, I am more stubborn than this chart I WILL MAKE IT WORK, and it will, eventually.

              Alex
              Hope this helps