Re: [SCA-Garb] Queen Anne Boleyn

  • Jennifer Hill
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2002
      Not only did she [supposedly] have a third nipple, but also a 6th finger or
      part thereof. Or so they say. I didn't make her acquaintance, personally.
      <G> Gwen who feels goofy tonite
      Happy New Year to ALL

      Jennifer Hill
      Gwen verch Rhys
      & al manere of thyng shal be wele. Dame Julian of Norwich
      welshladygwen@...
    • Lila Richards
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
        > almost wish I had the six fingers then I might type faster....

        Or not... :-) (I don't imagine *anything* would help me! :-) )

        Sinech.
        ________________________
        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
        (The Truth against the World)

        Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Adding Value to
        Communication
        Writing + Editing + Proofreading
        Absolutely.Write@... www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite
      • spynnere@juno.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
          On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:24:03 +1000 "Jeremy Baker"
          <meroeandjeremy@...> writes:
          > I remember reading somewhere a long long time ago....
          > that Anne Boleyn had a third nipple, which was also considered to be
          > a sign
          > of witchcraft. I have no idea how reliable this information is, as I
          > really
          > can't remember what the source was.

          The extra 'nipple' was a common accusation in the historical witch
          trials. The familiar, a spirit who helped the witch work magic (evil
          magic) was captured in an animal's body and nursed from it (the third
          nipple). The problem was that *any* skin mark or pimple, anywhere on the
          body, could be designated as this source of nourishment for the familiar.
          I *think* that it is discussed in the book: *Malleus Maleficarum*,
          which is an Elizabethan or early seventeenth century work. This book was
          used in the Salem Trials, in the 1690s.

          Elizabeth

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com
        • Bella
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
            > I *think* that it is discussed in the book:
            > *Malleus Maleficarum*,
            > which is an Elizabethan or early seventeenth century
            > work. This book was
            > used in the Salem Trials, in the 1690s.

            I had a feeling that this was much later than the
            Malleus Maleficarum was actually written, so I did a
            quick check online and found that it was indeed
            written much earlier than this - in 1486.

            <http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/>

            Bella

            - What's on at your local cinema?