Re: Garb frenzy time .

  • dragonlady
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      I can beat that I've got a total of just over 100 yard's of fabric in
      various color's nothing is cut out, I've got three people to sew for and a
      gambisin? unsure of spelling, to make and oh lucky me a full time job a part
      time job and my two great nieces age 4 months and 15 months to take care of
      and i personally have only 3 dresses 2 of which were given to me, my son has
      nothing to wear but my husband has 2 vests, 3shirts, 3 t tunics, 2 pairs of
      pants, so at least he has a slit head start and he doesn't sew a lick.
      oh and some one had to just say theres only 38 day's left till gulf wars
      aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh what to do , what to do??? .....................yeah
      I agree who need's sleep.
      R.
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>
      2. RE: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: Lillyth <savya@...>
      3. Re: Re: Good Garb Movies
      From: Kimberly Karn <kimberly@...>
      4. Re: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>
      5. RE: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>
      6. Linen colors....
      From: "Isobael de Muirhede" <sahara-al-shaira@...>
      7. Re: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>
      8. RE: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: "Jerrine Bergman" <belleassam@...>
      9. RE: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: Lillyth <savya@...>
      10. Re: Linen colors....
      From: "Amanda Bowen" <reason_prevails@...>
      11. African Dress
      From: "Stephania Dragonheart" <stephania303@...>
      12. daggers, knives etc
      From: "Muffin" <muffin@...>
      13. Re: African Dress
      From: seton1355@...
      14. Re: Linen colors....
      From: Kimberly Karn <kimberly@...>
      15. Re: African Dress
      From: "Lila Richards" <lila@...>
      16. Re: Linen colors....
      From: Ciorstan <ciorstan@...>
      17. Linen weight...was: Linen colors....
      From: "Isobael de Muirhede" <sahara-al-shaira@...>
      18. Re: Re: Aussie actors OT(was Aussie slang)
      From: Becky Harris <nannybecky@...>
      19. Re: Linen colors....
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>
      20. Re: Elizerbethan costuming Page (was Help! Best bodice pattern?)
      From: Becky Harris <nannybecky@...>
      21. RE: African Dress
      From: "Jerrine Bergman" <belleassam@...>
      22. Re: Linen weight...was: Linen colors....
      From: "Amanda Bowen" <reason_prevails@...>
      23. Men's Italian garb links (was Re: This is it...garb frenzy time!
      From: "ivinian" <ivinian@...>
      24. Re: Lovely Italian Renn on eBay, US only
      From: "ivinian" <ivinian@...>
      25. Re: Good Garb Movies
      From: Mary <hanstar88@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:34:32 -0600
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>
      Subject: Re: This is it...garb frenzy time!

      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:27:10 -0800 (PST)
      From: Lillyth <savya@...>

      I'll trade ya...

      Before Estrella I have to have my entire horde clothed
      (They've only been to one or two events now..., and
      "they" consists of a 7 and 6 years old boy, a 2.5 year
      old girl, and hubby, who is authorized to fence)...

      Clothing them consists of:
      5 cloaks (all of us need one, one is done, 3 more cut
      out)
      6 children's tunics (all cut out)
      4 t-tunics (one cut out)
      2 shirts
      2 pairs of pants
      1 vest
      1 scarf for his fencing mask

      and I -think- that might be all, unless I actually get
      around to making myself a ghawazee... *rolls eyes* Who
      needs sleep?

      Savya the Silent
      *ohdamnIdon'thavetimetoreademail!!!*
      --- kathleen a roberts <karobert@...> wrote:
      > dang, ladies!!!!!! makes my finish 3 heavy wool
      > tunics, 1 heavy wool
      > dress, 2 prs of pants and one light dress look like
      > a walk in the park...
      >
      > course, those are for leaving for estrella... and i
      > can sew in the
      > vehicle...
      >
      > last minute.... is there any other way?
      >
      > cailte
      > ><><><><> A land without a language is a land
      > without a soul <><><><><
      >
      > Ban-Fili Cailte Caitchairn, O.L. Kathleen Roberts
      > Rath Con Moir
      > Barony of al-Barran Albuquerque, NM
      > Kingdom of the Outlands
      > Society for Creative Anachronism
      > karobert@... 505-379-8226 (cell)
      >

      > Helpful email addresses:
      > Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Shortcut URL to the main group web page:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:37:39 -0800
      From: Kimberly Karn <kimberly@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Good Garb Movies

      At 08:25 PM 1/31/02 +0000, you wrote:

      >Of course, regardless of what happened to the _average_ temperature,
      >there was still summer during the Little Ice Age (mostly, although
      >there was so little of one in 1816 that it's sometimes called the
      >Year Without a Summer), and there was still winter during the
      >Medieval Warm Period. It's been so long since I've seen _A Lion in
      >Winter_ that I can't recall what time of year it's set in, so heavy
      >garb may still have been appropriate if it was during the wintertime
      >(although that's not what the winter in the title refers to).

      Eleanor of Aquitaine lived from 1126 to 1204 in 1152 and her sons are grown
      up so the movie was set in the later part of the century. The movie is set
      during christmas which is why he is letting her out of prison to visit her
      brood. According to the IMDB plot summary for the Lion in Winter,
      (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0063227 ) it's set during christmas 1183.
      Trivia Katherine Hepburn is descended from Eleanor by several blood lines
      and from both Of E of A's Marriages.
      I love Eleanor I think she is probably one of the coolest of the Medieval
      Queens I know about.
      The holiest of all holidays are those kept by ourselves in silence and
      apart; the secret anniversaries of the heart.
      -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:52:43 -0600
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>

      And I forgot to mention what I'm working on, besides the waffenrock
      for DF and the doublet bodice the machine lost it on:

      - pair of late-period shoes for me, via Mark Carlsen's site
      - (maybe: a pair of pattens for same, but unlikely at this point)
      - ropa for me
      - once my DF decides how he wants them, finishing the sleeves on his
      new late-period shirt (red, to go under the black waffenrock)
      - try to finish DF's German hat
      - pair of sleeves in same fabric as the doublet bodice, for the
      doublet bodice
      - finish blackwork on and hem cotton lawn chemise
      - make a new gown of some light blue linen-look stuff, with separate
      cartidge pleated skirts, naturally, so it's interchangeable. I intend
      to use Margo's pattern for this one, and make it low-necked, but I've
      not yet tried that pattern yet, so it also needs pinfitting and a
      toile.
      - make sleeves of and for same
      - I could also use a few plain chemises/smocks, but I find myself all
      out of natural or near-natural-colored fabrics for such.
      - finish ruff begun last weekend (it's all sewed on, thank God, but
      needs some finishing work yet)
      - partlets! I need more! I only have one! Gah!
      - I'd really like to have a new corset, but I don't know that that
      will happen....
      - and garb for the Blessed Girlchild, but she has plenty, and right
      now, doesn't care about style.

      Naturally, on top of this comes the Shire pageantry and illumination
      projects - today I've sewn and painted five marshall's baldrics. Last
      night I put the finishing touches of paint on my heraldry (my lines
      are all "big and bold and butch," except for that dainty embroiderer's
      broach ;). Then there's also my personal projects that I've been
      working on for my office (listing and categorizing the Shire A&S file
      possessions).

      And of course, trying to lead a "normal" life. And being Mommy.

      Ain't it fun, Bella?

      Wouldn't trade it for a thing,
      Margaret of Norwood
      A&S Minister of the Shire of Easaraigh

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:18:42 +1100 (EST)
      From: Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>

      --- Lillyth <savya@...> wrote:

      I'll trade ya...

      Before Estrella I have to have my entire horde clothed
      (They've only been to one or two events now..., and
      'they' consists of a 7 and 6 years old boy, a 2.5 year
      old girl, and hubby, who is authorized to fence)...

      Clothing them consists of:<eye-poppingly large list of
      garb projects snipped><<<<<

      Wow! Good luck! How long to Estrella? :)

      Bella

      http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
      - It's My Yahoo! Get your own!

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:22:59 -0800
      From: "Isobael de Muirhede" <sahara-al-shaira@...>
      Subject: Linen colors....

      Ok...ok...

      I'm biting the bullet. One step closer to making garb.

      I've downloaded, filched, copied, stole patterns/diagrams from the internet
      and have them burned on a CD, ready to take them to my dad's where i can
      make copies of them and slip them into a notebook.

      I have two ways here...Bliauts over a kirtle/chemise, and/or Persian with a
      long, loose tunic and an open long coat, broached at the waist, and sirwaals
      (pants).

      Now...I am trying to decide on the proper/appropriate colors for the chemise
      and bliaut. I'm gazing at www.fabric-store.com and the linin there,
      compiling a list of colors I both like and would think be available for the
      1400's.

      The list is: French Grey, Currant, Mahogany, Posy, Wild Cherry, Black, Azure
      Isle, Old Rust, and Aubergine.

      Not too wild of colors...pastels look crappy on me...and with the white
      chemise, I am going to have to wear a darker colored bliaut or else I am
      going to look very washed out yellow...(the curse of being a half Chinese
      and very pale skin).

      Are the colors I have listed "proper" colors? Also, a white chemise would
      not have been white as we know it, would it? Did they have bleach back
      then? or would it have been closer to a pale cream?

      Thanks!

      Isobael
      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      ICQ: 123771606
      AIM: Isobael
      MSN: isobael@...
      www.isobael.0catch.com A Newbie's SCA website

      Message: 7
      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:23:30 +1100 (EST)
      From: Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...>

      --- Heather McCafferty <HeaterMcCa@...>
      wrote:
      "Last minute?" Tell me about it! I've got 38 days to
      Gulf Wars over here, and my sewing machine just before
      last night's meeting lost all sense of tension!
      Gaaahhh! I need to sew garb for me AND my sweetie
      before then (I'm working on a waffenrock for him right
      now).<<<<<

      Helllllpppp!! What's a waffenrock??? for some reason
      that word conjurs up all sorts of weirs images!! :)

      >>>Naturally, I was machine embroidering the very last
      of a set of decorative lines on a doublet bodice (and
      it was supposed to be informal - right). It would look
      all wrong without this last lines of embroidery, which
      joins all the other lines on one side of the front.
      Yay. Hopefully I can get back my little Brother that
      Momma has borrowed right now - I swear the woman has a
      Necchi built like a 60's model SInger, and she won't
      get it repaired....<<<<<

      I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

      Bella...glad she has only her little 'ol self to get
      ready for Festival...well...large 'ol self... :)

      http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
      - It's My Yahoo! Get your own!

      Message: 8
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:23:59 -0700
      From: "Jerrine Bergman" <belleassam@...>

      Thirteen days at this point. I too am stitching madly trying to get
      garb done. I'm just cutting out a cozy flannel shirt for my hubby, and
      am really glad my last day of work is tomorrow so I'll have a whole week
      to finish getting ready.

      Blossom

      Before Estrella I have to have my entire horde clothed
      (They've only been to one or two events now..., and
      'they' consists of a 7 and 6 years old boy, a 2.5 year
      old girl, and hubby, who is authorized to fence)...

      Clothing them consists of:<eye-poppingly large list of
      garb projects snipped><<<<<

      Wow! Good luck! How long to Estrella? :)

      Bella

      http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
      - It's My Yahoo! Get your own!

      Helpful email addresses:
      Subscribe: SCA-Garb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Shortcut URL to the main group web page:

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message: 9
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:33:55 -0800 (PST)
      From: Lillyth <savya@...>

      --- Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...> wrote:
      > --- Lillyth <savya@...> wrote:
      >
      > I'll trade ya...
      >
      > Before Estrella I have to have my entire horde
      > clothed
      > (They've only been to one or two events now..., and
      > 'they' consists of a 7 and 6 years old boy, a 2.5
      > year
      > old girl, and hubby, who is authorized to fence)...
      >
      > Clothing them consists of:<eye-poppingly large list
      > of
      > garb projects snipped><<<<<
      >

      > Wow! Good luck! How long to Estrella? :)
      >
      > Bella
      > =

      Less than 14 days until we leave. Fortunately, the
      main thing right now is getting it all cut out. Then
      I'm pawning them off on friends to sew up (Thank GOD
      for friends and favors!). I will do what I can, as
      will they, and frankly, if it doesn't happen, it
      doesn't happen. *sighs*

      BTW - anyone know of a good collection of Spanish and
      Italian Rennaissance mens garb photos? *hubby wants a
      doublet*

      Savya

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

      Message: 10
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:44:33 -0600
      From: "Amanda Bowen" <reason_prevails@...>
      Subject: Re: Linen colors....

      the currant color is the most beautiful of the reds (at least i think) and
      i've seen natural dyes that color, so it's at least in the realm of
      possibility it was available.

      black dye (from what i've read, starting to get a definate interest in
      dyeing here) is made from an insect and thus very expensive, so i'd think
      twice unless i was really rich :)

      the azure is a great color. am partial to blue myself.

      as to white, there are some here who could definately tell you more about it
      than i could, so i'll leave that to them. i believe pure whites are
      available (and there are all sorts of natural bleach.. have heard it said
      that american colonists used urine, which does contain ammonia, to keep
      their whites white, but cant attest to accuracy, and anyway its oop.)

      and just a little reminder (you've likely heard it before and from someone
      else, but i'll just throw it out there) the lighter your linen is, the
      better it is to work with. it drapes better and just makes the whole "look"
      right. (this from an expirience with heavyweight linen... and some sort of
      tunic we wont try to describe. it could stand on its own. i should use it
      for a pell.)

      congrats on your step closer :) be sure to tell us what you choose!

      Amanda

      >Ok...ok...
      >
      >I'm biting the bullet. One step closer to making garb.

      Message: 11
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:44:38 -0700
      From: "Stephania Dragonheart" <stephania303@...>
      Subject: African Dress

      Greetings one and all!
      Pardon the misuse of the list, but I am doing a report for school, and it
      is on S.African clothing. Unfortunetly, I can't find a African dress pattern
      anywhere. Can someone please help me? Thanks

      Stefania DragonHeart

      Message: 12
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:53:49 -0500
      From: "Muffin" <muffin@...>
      Subject: daggers, knives etc

      Is there such a place where you can get the knives & Daggers with a 'metal'
      handle & sheath, but with a 'fake'( rubber or plastic) knife part?
      I have seen some really nice metal ones with gorgeous handles for under
      $30. BUT I need something not considered dangerous to take with costume for
      traveling. Security people are NOT that happy with scissors,, let alone a
      real knife ( they pulled my checkin's on a recent cruise with scissors &
      confiscated them).
      I _could_ take off the sharp part & glue the handle to the sheath,, but
      I really hate to destroy it like that.

      Thanks!!!!!!!!!

      Message: 13
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:23:09 EST
      From: seton1355@...
      Subject: Re: African Dress

      Try keepsakequilting.com or clotilde.com

      Message: 14
      Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:23:48 -0800
      From: Kimberly Karn <kimberly@...>

      At 07:44 PM 1/31/02 -0600, you wrote:
      >the currant color is the most beautiful of the reds (at least i think) and
      >i've seen natural dyes that color, so it's at least in the realm of
      >possibility it was available.

      I thought it was red was from insects and black was hard cuz you had to
      overdye.

      >black dye (from what i've read, starting to get a definate interest in
      >dyeing here) is made from an insect and thus very expensive, so i'd think
      >twice unless i was really rich :)

      I could look it up if you want me to unearth my dye book from where ever
      the heck I put it last time.
      The holiest of all holidays are those kept by ourselves in silence and
      apart; the secret anniversaries of the heart.
      -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

      Message: 15
      Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:34:37 +1300
      From: "Lila Richards" <lila@...>

      > Greetings one and all!
      > Pardon the misuse of the list, but I am doing a report for school, and it
      > is on S.African clothing. Unfortunetly, I can't find a African dress
      pattern
      > anywhere. Can someone please help me? Thanks
      >
      > Stefania DragonHeart

      One of the major dress-pattern companies (Either Butterick, Simplicity or
      Style, I think) had a set of patterns for African-influenced ladies-
      clothes, and also one for hats, but how accurate they are, I don't know. My
      suggestion is to see if you can find pictures of South African people
      wearing their traditional garb, as I don't think it's very complicated in
      style, and they'll give you a feel for fabrics, colours and styles. Tribes
      to look out for would be: Zulu, Xhosa, Lesotho. There are others; I just
      can't think of them offhand. Also, if you're thinking of modern-day
      fashions, they're the same as European clothes, except perhaps for fabrics
      and head-scarves.
      Anyway, best of luck with your project.

      Sinech.
      ________________________
      An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
      (The Truth against the World)

      Message: 16
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:40:39 -0800
      From: Ciorstan <ciorstan@...>

      Kimberly Karn wrote:

      > At 07:44 PM 1/31/02 -0600, you wrote:
      > >the currant color is the most beautiful of the reds (at least i
      > think) and
      > >i've seen natural dyes that color, so it's at least in the realm of
      > >possibility it was available.
      >
      > I thought it was red was from insects and black was hard cuz you had
      > overdye.

      For what it's worth from someone who doesn't dye and hasn't actively
      pursued the art...

      There are several different sources for reds, madder and kermes being
      the two most popular. Madder is from a plant and kermes is from an
      insect. Madder was quite easy to prepare and process--readily available
      to one who had the time and equipment to do the work. Kermes was an
      expensive trade commodity that was eventually replaced by New World
      cochneal, also from an insect.

      Madder reds tend to be in the violet-ish range. Kermes and cochneal tend
      to be in the cool scarlet red range. All of these colors can be varied
      drastically depending on what was used as a mordant.

      The fabulous Imperial purple of legend is actually a very dark
      purply-red color. About ten or so years ago when I had a little too much
      time on my hands I worked out the cost of a Roman tunic dyed completely
      in Tyrian purple: US$150,000. No wonder the Emperor and his immediate
      family were the only ones allowed to wear such garments-- though there
      were people in the city of Rome who could definitely afford it, it was
      restricted by sumptuary law. Senators could wear purple stripes, but not
      solid colored garments.

      > >black dye (from what i've read, starting to get a definate interest
      > in
      > >dyeing here) is made from an insect and thus very expensive, so i'd
      > think
      > >twice unless i was really rich :)
      >
      > I could look it up if you want me to unearth my dye book from where
      > ever
      > the heck I put it last time.

      Black is fiddly because it comes from sources that are rather corrosive
      to fabric, plus it was fugitive. The easiest way to get a black garment
      was from the first shearing of a black lamb-- wool tends to get
      progressively lighter with age in sheep. If your wool was a dark grey,
      then overdye with oak gall, the same stuff used for ink preparation.

      That's only one method of achieving black, I know there's more, but this
      is off the top of my head. Time for pork chops, rice and gravy!

      ciorstan

      Message: 17
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:41:44 -0800
      From: "Isobael de Muirhede" <sahara-al-shaira@...>
      Subject: Linen weight...was: Linen colors....

      Ummm...another quick question.

      Handkerchief weight is recommended for the chemise...would that be the
      lightest weight in linen?

      Would would be an appropriate weight for the chemise? Would the bliaut be
      made of the same weight or a heavier weight?

      Thank you again!

      'Bael
      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      ICQ: 123771606
      AIM: Isobael
      MSN: isobael@...
      www.isobael.0catch.com A Newbie's SCA website

      Message: 18
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:43:09 -0800 (PST)
      From: Becky Harris <nannybecky@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Aussie actors OT(was Aussie slang)

      WOW! Thanx for the info. *S*
      Rebekah McLeod
      mka Becky Harris

      --- Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...> wrote:
      > Sure Becky. The actor who was born in New Zealand
      > and
      > now lives and works in Australia, and who is a
      > cousin
      > to Martin Crowe the cricketer is none other than he
      > of
      > "Gladiator" and now "Beautiful Mind" fame - Russell
      > Crowe.
      >
      > Bella

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

      Message: 19
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:55:47 -0600
      From: "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@...>

      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:52:55 -0800 (PST)
      From: Becky Harris <nannybecky@...>
      Subject: Re: Elizerbethan costuming Page (was Help! Best bodice pattern?)

      Thank you very much. *S*

      --- Bella <bella_lucia_da_verona@...> wrote:
      > The Elizebethan Costuming Page is at:
      >
      > http://www.dnaco.net/~aleed/corsets/index.html

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

      Message: 21
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:57:22 -0700
      From: "Jerrine Bergman" <belleassam@...>

      Okay, try this web page
      http://www.costumes.org/pages/afrocentriclinks.htm#Traditional%20Dress

      One of the links on it ought to get you something useful.

      Blossom

      > Pardon the misuse of the list, but I am doing a report for school,
      and it
      > is on S.African clothing. Unfortunetly, I can't find a African dress
      pattern
      > anywhere. Can someone please help me? Thanks
      >
      > Stefania DragonHeart

      One of the major dress-pattern companies (Either Butterick, Simplicity
      or
      Style, I think) had a set of patterns for African-influenced ladies-
      clothes, and also one for hats, but how accurate they are, I don't know.
      My
      suggestion is to see if you can find pictures of South African people
      wearing their traditional garb, as I don't think it's very complicated
      in
      style, and they'll give you a feel for fabrics, colours and styles.
      Tribes
      to look out for would be: Zulu, Xhosa, Lesotho. There are others; I just
      can't think of them offhand. Also, if you're thinking of modern-day
      fashions, they're the same as European clothes, except perhaps for
      fabrics
      and head-scarves.
      Anyway, best of luck with your project.

      Sinech.

      Shortcut URL to the main group web page:

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message: 22
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:19:53 -0600
      From: "Amanda Bowen" <reason_prevails@...>
      Subject: Re: Linen weight...was: Linen colors....

      yes, the handkerchief weight linen is the lightest weight. my chemise is
      made of 3.5 oz, and is very light (the white is almost see-through) the
      bliaut can be made of this same weight in a more opaque color, or 4.6 oz,
      which is what my new bliaut is made of. 5.7 is a little stiff for my taste,
      but its still light enough to drape well. makes a good skirt.

      you can find all these weights at fabrics-store.com if you use the search
      function.

      Amanda

      >Handkerchief weight is recommended for the chemise...would that be the
      >lightest weight in linen?
      >
      >Would would be an appropriate weight for the chemise? Would the bliaut be
      >made of the same weight or a heavier weight?

      Message: 23
      Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:56:25 -0000
      From: "ivinian" <ivinian@...>
      Subject: Men's Italian garb links (was Re: This is it...garb frenzy time!

      I have a small collection of men's Italian garb on my website, at:

      http://pages.ivillage.com/aoda_a/aodasfollies/index.html

      It is limited -- I have a lot more to add to it, but it's one of the
      few collections of men's portraits I know of. I also have lots of
      photos of a few Italian things I've made my sweetie. There are other
      portraits to be found -- I do have a links page on that site. This is
      probably the best link:

      http://www.costumes.org/pages/italiRenlinks.htm

      But you'll have to sift through it a bit; not all the links work or
      are what you'll want.

      This is the big garb links page:

      http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/clot.htm

      I'm afraid that many of the Italian links are out of date, and the
      bulk are about women's clothes.

      I'm no expert on Spanish gear, so cannot suggest any sites, but
      Italian I'm pretty familiar with by now ;) Congratz to your sweetie,
      Savya -- not many men get into this style of garb! He won't see
      himself coming and going, that's for sure. And Italian doublets, at
      least, are pretty easy to make (Period Patterns #43 has a fairly easy
      doublet pattern in it, but make it in something cheap first and be
      prepared to have several fittings, as sizing seems to run
      large/wide.) And oh, they are SO dashing-looking, these clothes.
      Italian garb has converted my own sweetie into wearing the dreaded
      TIGHTS! ;)

      Good luck!

      Aoda

      --- In SCA-Garb@y..., Lillyth <savya@s...> wrote:

      > Less than 14 days until we leave. Fortunately, the
      > main thing right now is getting it all cut out. Then
      > I'm pawning them off on friends to sew up (Thank GOD
      > for friends and favors!). I will do what I can, as
      > will they, and frankly, if it doesn't happen, it
      > doesn't happen. *sighs*
      >
      > BTW - anyone know of a good collection of Spanish and
      > Italian Rennaissance mens garb photos? *hubby wants a
      > doublet*
      >
      > Savya

      Message: 24
      Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 04:11:21 -0000
      From: "ivinian" <ivinian@...>
      Subject: Re: Lovely Italian Renn on eBay, US only

      How tall is this friend? The dress in the one full-length picture
      looks like it was made for someone 4' tall. Especially on used garb,
      it's helpful to know how tall the owner is ;) I've had some surprises
      that way before.

      It is beautiful though. The brocade does look lovely against the red.
      And I truly adore those delicate pearl buttons. The sleeves look
      gorgeous too. It's a lovely dress.

      Aoda

      --- In SCA-Garb@y..., "Heather McCafferty" <HeaterMcCa@h...> wrote:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1698952031
      >
      > A friend made this gown and wore it, I think, three times to feasts.
      > The red on the brocade is washed out in the photos - it's a deep
      > blue-valued red, and the red in the brocade matches it. The pearl
      > work is *fabulous* up close. Quite a nice piece. She dyed the
      brocade
      > herself - it was already an unexciting gray color, and when she
      > overdyed it with the scarlet, it improved a great deal, with the
      > floaters taking the dye a lot and the grey getting a really nice
      shade
      > to it, AND it provided her with two-tone brocade. It's all in one
      > piece, I believe. The camicia does NOT come with it. This is also
      > only shippable in the States, unfortunately. I enjoy her personal
      work
      > for Italians a lot, though I don't wear it myself - my persona's
      > Elizabethan Scots! :) Have a gander, folks.
      >
      > Margaret of Norwood
      > Regional Fighter Practice, Feb. 23rd,
      > http://www.easaraigh.org/warpractice
      > "Douce et innocent à l'extérieur, mauvaise et croquante à
      > l'intérieur."

      Message: 25
      Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:23:48 -0800 (PST)
      From: Mary <hanstar88@...>
      Subject: Re: Good Garb Movies

      FYI ~ this webpage has some interesting information about the
      background of the movie and characters
      <http://www.bard.org/SectionEducate/liontrue.html> (it's from the
      Utah Shakespeare Festival website).

      Going to watch the beginning of 'Queen Margot' tonite, even though
      someone on the list said that the costumes are horrible. Hopefully
      it will give me some clues what *not* to do. :-) I can't stay up
      too late, because I just got Margo Anderson's pattern set in the mail
      today -- I'm planning on snuggling up in bed with it.... hee, hee,
      hee...

      I'll go back to lurking now... ~mary

      > Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:30:24 -0000
      > From: "aicelina_gatesedge" <saragalley@...>
      > Subject: Re: Good Garb Movies
      >
      > --- In SCA-Garb@y..., "janeravenswood" <janeravenswood@y...> wrote:
      > > yes, it looked *very* warm. Not that I know much about the
      > > timeperiod but I always wondered if it was during one of those
      > mini
      > > Ice Ages.
      >
      > Nope, it wasn't -- there's some doubt about _exactly_ when the
      > Medieval Warm Period ended, but this was still well within it. I've
      >
      > got some discussion and links on my journal site, if you're
      > interested.
      >
      > Of course, regardless of what happened to the _average_
      > temperature,
      > there was still summer during the Little Ice Age (mostly, although
      > there was so little of one in 1816 that it's sometimes called the
      > Year Without a Summer), and there was still winter during the
      > Medieval Warm Period. _A Lion in Winter_ is set at Christmastime,
      > IIRC, so warm garments would still be appropriate.
      >
      > It's been 7-8 years, and _well_ before my SCA days, since I've seen
      >
      > this movie; I'd almost forgotten it existed, much less what people
      > were wearing. Clearly, I'm going to have to see it again.
      >
      > Aicelina de Carcassona
      > Garb journal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/aicelina

      =====

      Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
      forgotten this before.

      ~ Steven Wright

      http://auctions.yahoo.com