Playing with Flat Patterns

  • Catelli
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2001
      Hello, all,

      Thought I'd chime in with my favorite book on the subject:

      Adele P. Margolis
      How to Make Clothes that Fit and Flatter
      Doubleday & Company, Inc. Garden City, New York
      (c) 1969 no ISBN LC 68-22517

      Actually, skip the first chapter.

      Some of this book is quite dated, but that helps--you can separate out
      the techniques from the fashions, per se.

      The author does not include removing darts altogether, but she shows
      them in every other position she can think of.

      If you have a local open-stack library, you may be able to find a
      section with this sort of book.
      It's been my experience that US libraries file clothing books in
      1) Home Economics (like the book I've just recommended),
      2) History of clothing/ popular psychology, etc., and
      3) Theater arts.

      Anyway, don't want to take too long with a plug for a book you may not
      see or wish to look for.

      I do second the vote for The Costume Maker's Handbook (Ingham & Covey),
      which is very useful and well-written.

      yours,

      Ann

      p.s. Ultrasuede, while lovely, drapes very stiffly as a surcote on a
      6"/c. 15 cm knight dolls. Two layers of lightweight cotton cloth sew
      together & turned right-side-out, however, drapes Just Like the surcotes
      shown in the Maciejowski Bible. AC