Looking for advice again...

  • Silvester
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2013
      I'm looking for advice again...

      I'm trying to get back into heavy combat and my lady requires that I wear a bevor, so my "period" is kinda restricted to 15th century(ish). I can't afford full plate and just got screwed by a couple of armourers, so I'm leaning toward my armour being hidden inside of garb... but I'm uncertain about patterns/styles and would like some help.

      Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

      Silvester
    • Emeludt Hänsler/Emmie Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2013
        If you have not asked on the Armor Archive about this yet. I would highly
        recommend that.

        Eme

        --

        Always Yours in Service,

        Herrin Emeludt H�nsler

        Southern Regional Deputy Chatelain, Kingdom of Atlantia

        Head Retainer, Their Excellencies of Windmasters� Hill

      • lizziesstitches
        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2013
          One of the easiest tabards to make to cover up armor is a rectangle with a whole I it that ties at the sides. Another one is to attaché squares where the shoulders are to lay over the arms . You can also put your and your ladies devices on each square. Another style is to make it like you would a tunic but have it flair more from the waist and sit it in the front 3/4 th way up the groin to enable you to move more freely. I have a few other styles from back east that were popular I can email them to you if you would like. Just let me know if this style interests you. Lizzie

          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2013
            I think part of my problem is I'm over thinking the problem and not liking the answer...

            I'm trying to do late 15th century German to justify the use of a sallet and bevor, and that sort of puts me in range for the costumes shown in the Talhoffer manuscript http://talhoffer.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/fighting-with-the-messer-plate-224-page-113v/ , but I fear I would be too embarrassed to wear the tight fitting hose and the sleeves in many of the panels imply lacing down the seam on the back of the arm - which I THINK is a shirt under a doublet.

            But in all of the images I have seen from the manuscript, the combatants are either in regular "street" cloths or full plate (or judicial jumpers) - none appear to be wearing a breast plate, elbow/knee protection or a helm of any sort and I don't feel comfortable taking artisitc lisence...

            Does any of that make sense?

            Silvester

            --- In SCA-Garb@yahoogroups.com, "Silvester" <professor03@...> wrote:

            > I'm looking for advice again...
            >
            > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Silvester

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2013
              I don't even know what a sallet and bevor are (and don't really need to know either), but having seen the pics in the link, I am wondering if you have to copy this look precisely... As a dancer, this looks to me a lot like dance illustrations wherein the clothing is selected in order that the reader can see the line of the leg and the direction the knee is pointing, etc, etc. Is it possible that these illustrations are the same, and have left off pieces of clothing that may have obscured the view of the correct postures? I'd try to find a genre painting of the period that shows street scenes and base my garb on that.

              Rashid